RESPA Sec. 8 Enforcement: CFPB Scrutiny of Settlement Fees, AfBAs and Marketing Service Agreements
Best Practices for Mortgage Lenders, Insurers, Title Companies and Law Firms to Minimize Exposure
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss recent enforcement actions by the CFPB under Section 8 of RESPA, consent orders reached with mortgage settlement service providers, and lessons learned from the CFPB’s actions. The panel will discuss the specific settlement practices targeted by the agency and best practices for settlement service providers to minimize exposure to enforcement activity by the CFPB.
- Enforcement actions challenging fee-splitting arrangements, referral fees, unearned fees and kick-backs
- Enforcement actions challenging AfBAs
- Enforcement actions challenging MSAs
- Best practices for settlement service providers to minimize exposure to Section 8 enforcement activity
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What mortgage settlement services and practices have been the focus of CFPB RESPA enforcement?
- What steps can AfBAs and their owners take to ensure RESPA compliance in light of the recent CFPB scrutiny of these arrangements?
- What lessons can be learned from the consent order with Lighthouse Title Company regarding MSAs?
- What RESPA Section 8 enforcement trends can we expect to see in 2015?
Holly Spencer Bunting
Ms. Bunting practices in the areas of mortgage banking and consumer finance. She represents companies in the... | Read More
Ms. Bunting practices in the areas of mortgage banking and consumer finance. She represents companies in the mortgage lending, title insurance and real estate industries in connection with regulatory compliance matters, and defends clients in government audits, investigations and enforcement proceedings. She advises clients about consumer credit and protection laws, including RESPA, and reviews and analyzes business arrangements for compliance with federal and state requirements.Close
Heather C. Hutchings
Ms. Hutchings is a Member in the firm's Financial Services Regulatory and Compliance practice. She focuses her... | Read More
Ms. Hutchings is a Member in the firm's Financial Services Regulatory and Compliance practice. She focuses her practice on consumer financial services laws and regulations affecting banks and other financial institutions, non-chartered mortgage lenders and servicers, consumer finance companies, and mortgage brokers. Ms. Hutchings also counsels financial services companies regarding CFPB preparedness and implementation strategies for the CFPB's new regulations. She is a frequent author and lecturer on financial services law topics.Close