Resolving Wage and Hour Cases Through Mediation and Negotiated Settlement
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to employment counsel for resolving complex wage and hour claims through mediation or negotiated settlement. The panel will discuss how to evaluate when settlement discussions or mediation are appropriate, position a case for mediation or settlement discussions, prepare and present a case to a neutral, address different settlement structures and navigate the complexities of court approval.
Evaluating the settlement options for wage and hour cases
- Assessing litigation costs
- Evaluating potential liabilities and damage awards
- Finding the right mediator
- Managing client expectations
- Effective advocacy during mediation
- Negotiating the settlement agreement
- Obtaining court approval of the settlement
- Settlement administration
- Rule 68 Offers of Judgment in FLSA cases
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What factors should employment counsel take into account when evaluating whether to settle a wage and hour case through mediation?
- What are the best practices for selecting a neutral and presenting the case during the mediation?
- How should attorneys manage a client's expectations prior to and during the mediation?
- What actions should counsel take before and during mediation to help ensure that agreements reached will meet their clients' needs and withstand enforcement challenges?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Margaret A. Keane
DLA Piper LLP (US)
Ms. Keane has more than 25 years of experience as a litigator. She has defended employers in all phases of... | Read More
Ms. Keane has more than 25 years of experience as a litigator. She has defended employers in all phases of litigation – dispositive motions, trials, arbitrations, and mediations – involving wage and hour claims, restrictive covenants and discrimination claims. Ms. Keane is a mediator for California's Third District Court of Appeal and a settlement conference officer for the Superior Court of California, County of San Francisco.Close
Eric S. Beane
DLA Piper LLP (US)
Mr. Beane has extensive experience in complex litigation for global clients, including class action litigation, wage... | Read More
Mr. Beane has extensive experience in complex litigation for global clients, including class action litigation, wage and hour litigation, mass layoffs, trade secret and non-compete issues and ERISA claims. He has defended employers in claims of wage and hour violations, wrongful discharge, employment discrimination, sexual harassment, breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets. Mr. Beane also represents employers and management in state and federal courts and before administrative bodies throughout the U.S.Close