Resolving ERISA Liens and Reimbursement Claims in Personal Injury Cases
Narrowing Claims and Challenging Unreasonable Charges; Effect of Montanile on ERISA Plan Rights
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will give personal injury attorneys practical tips for negotiating and resolving ERISA liens and claims for reimbursement against personal injury settlements to maximize recovery for their clients.
- Overview of the law governing ERISA reimbursement in the context of personal injury settlements
- Best practices for personal injury counsel for negotiating and resolving liens and reimbursement claims
- Timing of the lien negotiation
- Obtain and review all health insurance coverage and the summary plan description during client intake
- Exhaust all other available medical coverage
- Request and review the lien
- Narrow the claims
- Dispute unreasonable items
- Update on other types of liens
- Medicare refunds
The panel will review these and other relevant issues:
- What are the latest developments and relevant case law related to ERISA claims for reimbursement?
- What steps should personal injury attorneys take to ensure the most favorable result for their clients when negotiating an ERISA lien?
- Are personal injury attorneys required to notify ERISA plans of third-party claims and settlements?
Evan K. Aidman
Law Offices of Evan K. Aidman
For over three decades Mr. Aidman has tirelessly and relentlessly advocated for those suffering from personal injuries.... | Read More
For over three decades Mr. Aidman has tirelessly and relentlessly advocated for those suffering from personal injuries. His knowledge, expertise and success as an exemplary personal injury attorney have established him in the forefront in this highly specialized area of the law. Mr. Aidman has authored the highly successful book, “Winning Personal Injury Cases”, the bible of personal injury law for attorneys seeking to gain justice, and monetary awards for their clients.Close
David L. Place, JD
Vice President, Director of Lien Resolution Services
Synergy Settlement Services
Vice President of Synergy Settlement Services, Director of Synergy Lien Resolution Services and Multi Claimant... | Read More
Vice President of Synergy Settlement Services, Director of Synergy Lien Resolution Services and Multi Claimant Solutions, Mr. Place exclusively assists personal injury victims and plaintiff counsel with complex lien resolution problems using his vast knowledge of the other side’s techniques. Prior to joining Synergy, Mr. Place spent fourteen years representing large private group health insurance plans, self-funded ERISA groups, FEHBA plans, Medicare Advantage plans, state Medicaid plans, as well as stop-loss and disability plans in their subrogation/recovery programs. He asserted subrogation/reimbursement rights for those groups in all fifty states, personally recovering nearly one hundred million dollars for the insurance industry.Close