Representing Rapid Growth Companies: Advisory Boards, Conflicts of Interest, Mitigating Risks
The Legal Pitfalls of Aspiring Unicorns
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide corporate counsel advice on the unique legal challenges of representing businesses seeking rapid growth to achieve unicorn status, from developing an advisory board and distinguishing the board in scope and use from a board of directors, how to handle conflict of interest issues, and the best means of mitigating risks before an initial public offering or sale of the company.
- Defining unicorn, baby unicorn, and similar rapid growth companies
- Advisory boards vs. board of directors
- Conflict of interest
- Risks to mitigate pre-IPO / pre-Sale
- Employee claims
- SEC scrutiny
- Claims arising in an acquisition
- Compliance issues
- Fund LP/GP disputes
The panel will review these and other relevant topics:
- What defines a unicorn and how does a business structure itself to achieve this status as an end goal?
- How should a startup develop its advisory board? When and how should an advisory board be used in lieu of a board of directors?
- What are the proper steps to avoid conflicts of interests between co-creators and initial employees and establish corporate governance procedures?
- What risks must counsel address and prior to a startup's IPO or sale?
David E. Winkler
Fredrikson & Byron
Mr. Winkler provides clients with strategic advice on business objectives by pairing his finance and tax background... | Read More
Mr. Winkler provides clients with strategic advice on business objectives by pairing his finance and tax background with practical, efficient legal solutions to achieve business goals. He is co-chair of Fredrikson & Byron’s Start Up and Rapid Growth Enterprises (SURGE) group focusing his practice in the areas of growth equity, venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, securities and general corporate law. Mr. Winkler works with companies in a variety of industries including enterprise software, financial technology, media, consumer, e-commerce, food, agriculture, medical device and digital health. He is also actively engaged in the Upper Midwest angel and venture capital community.Close
to be announced.
Buy Live Webinar
Early Discount (through 10/16/20)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $250 (through 10/16/20)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$344 + $24.45 S&H