Renewable Energy Project Financing: Legal Strategies for Structuring the Deal
Navigating Financial Incentives, Sources of Capital, Debt and Equity Structures
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to counsel for renewable energy projects on the incentives, sources and structures associated with financing renewable energy projects. The panel will offer their insights and perspectives on financing renewable energy projects.
- Finance-ability of the renewable energy project—critical issues
- Regulatory scheme
- Permitting and land use
- Potential litigation
- Financial incentives
- Revenue streams
- Subsidies—direct and indirect
- Department of Energy/USDA loan guarantees
- Sources of capital
- Sources of debt for development
- Sources of equity
- Debt and equity structures
- Debt financing structures—project-level or back-leverage
- Equity financing—sponsor equity and tax equity players
- Impact of tax reform
- Best practices for financing renewable energy
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the key issues in evaluating the financing options available for a renewable energy project?
- What are key issues to address to help projects be financeable?
- What financial incentives are available to investors in renewable energy projects?
- What are the current prime sources of capital for renewable energy project developers?
- Should parties be concerned about possible impacts of federal tax reform efforts?
Jessica I. Basil
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
Ms. Basil's practice focuses on project and general finance in the areas of gas, power and infrastructure, with a... | Read More
Ms. Basil's practice focuses on project and general finance in the areas of gas, power and infrastructure, with a particular focus on representing lenders, sponsors and developers in connection with the construction, development, financing and operation of power generation projects. In addition, Ms. Basil has experience in the acquisition, disposition and restructuring of major infrastructure projects. Ms. Basil has extensive experience in wind, solar and other alternative energy sources (such as landfill gas, hydro and biofuels) in the U.S., Latin America and Europe.Close
Mr. Lowder focuses on energy, project finance, and related tax and public financing tools. He has worked with... | Read More
Mr. Lowder focuses on energy, project finance, and related tax and public financing tools. He has worked with utilities, energy project developers, tax equity investors, engineering and construction firms, project site owners, and power purchasers on a variety of renewable-energy and fossil-fuel power projects. He is experienced with such project technologies as solar photovoltaic systems, onshore and offshore wind development, biomass and biofuel projects, coal-fired generation, next-generation nuclear power, and other alternative energy technologies.Close