Regulating Political Signs and Speech: Responding to First Amendment and Land Use Challenges
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide counsel to local governments on how to lawfully regulate the display of political signs and public employee campaigning on municipal property--without violating federal and state constitutions.
- Regulating political signs
- Political signs as a distinct category
- Limits on size, height, number, and placement
- Reed v. Town of Gilbert
- Duration rules: limiting the time of display
- Post-election removal requirements
- Permits, registrations, fees, and removal bonds
- Mandatory disclosure of sponsorship
- Banning signs and electioneering near the polls
- Restricting campaign activity by public employees
- Garcetti v. Ceballos (U.S. Supreme Court, 2006) (public employee's free speech rights when speaking in an official capacity)
- State or city laws restricting political activity by certain public employees
The panel will review these and other crucial questions:
- What issues must the municipal attorney consider when determining whether time limits for political signs are lawful?
- Can local governments impose any content restrictions on political signs and literature?
- How does current case law address participation by public employees in campaign activities on local government property?
- Can the political speech rights of public employees, even while off duty and at home, be limited as a term of employment?
Alan C. Weinstein, JD
Professor of Law
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law and Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs at Cleveland State University
Mr. Weinstein is a nationally-recognized expert on planning law and lectures frequently on the topic. He has... | Read More
Mr. Weinstein is a nationally-recognized expert on planning law and lectures frequently on the topic. He has extensive practice and research experience with First Amendment issues, particularly land use issues.Close
to be announced.
Buy Live Webinar
Includes Early Discount Savings of $50 (through 03/20/20)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $250 (through 03/20/20)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$344 + $19.45 S&H