Reductions in Force Litigation on the Rise
Avoiding and Defending Lawsuits Arising From Layoffs
Layoffs reach highest level in 30 years
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This seminar will review current RIF litigation trends and provide best practices for employers and their counsel to avoid or defend lawsuits arising from layoffs.
- Current litigation trends related to RIFs
- Best practices for avoiding lawsuits
- Document the business justifications for the reduction
- Determine whether proposed termination decisions have disparate impact on legally-protected groups
- Determine whether WARN Act is implicated
- Determine wage and hour implications
- Decide whether to seek release agreements from terminated employees
- Best practices for defending lawsuits
- Affirmative defenses
- Class certification strategies
- Discovery strategies
- Settlement strategies
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- How has the economic crisis impacted employee layoffs and associated litigation?
- What steps should an employer take during the planning and implementation of a RIF to avoid lawsuits after the layoffs have been implemented?
- What strategies are effective for defending litigation against employers arising from RIFS gone awry?
Charles A. Edwards
Attorney at Law
Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
He has represented employers in all phases of labor and employment law for over 35 years. His clients range from... | Read More
He has represented employers in all phases of labor and employment law for over 35 years. His clients range from Fortune 500 companies to local governments. He is co-author of the firm's FLSA Blog.Close
Mark R. Cheskin
He has extensive experience in national employment law. He focuses on complex employment and commercial litigation. He... | Read More
He has extensive experience in national employment law. He focuses on complex employment and commercial litigation. He has taken dozens of cases to jury verdict or final judgment as lead lawyer. A frequent lecturer and author, he has written papers and conducted numerous seminars and training programs for clients, trade groups, and publications.Close
Arlene Switzer Steinfield
Representing management, she litigates employment discrimination cases, counsels employers on preventative compliance... | Read More
Representing management, she litigates employment discrimination cases, counsels employers on preventative compliance strategies, and investigates workplace disputes. She is a fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers.Close
Access Anytime, Anywhere
Strafford will process CLE credit for one person on each recording. All formats include course handouts.
CLE On-Demand Audio