Real Estate Partnership and Joint Venture Agreements: Tax Challenges
Structuring Provisions to Achieve Tax Benefits and Avoid Common Pitfalls
Recording of a 110-minute CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This teleconference will advise real estate counsel on key tax issues in order to avoid pitfalls in structuring agreements for real estate partnerships and joint ventures. The panel will offer best practices for crafting provisions that reflect effective tax compliance and planning.
- Partnership/joint venture formation
- Cash capital contributions
- In-kind capital contributions
- Disguised sales
- Additional capital contributions and dilution provisions
- General partner's carry or promote
- Allocations and distributions
- General allocations of profits and losses
- Special allocations, including depreciation
- Sale or exchange of contributed property
- Current distributions/basis considerations
- Sale of assets and liquidation
- Allocation of gain or loss
- Determining liquidating distributions
- Sale of interests
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What unique tax issues are inherent in real estate partnerships and joint ventures?
- What are the common tax pitfalls in drafting real estate partnership agreements and what are best practices for avoiding these drafting mistakes?
- What specialized issues must be considered in giving partners an interest in exchange for services?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
McKenna Long & Aldridge
She concentrates on the structuring and effecting of complex business transactions. Her practice focuses on... | Read More
She concentrates on the structuring and effecting of complex business transactions. Her practice focuses on corporate and partnership taxation with particular emphasis on domestic and international mergers, acquisitions and spin-offs; recapitalizations; leveraged buyouts; going private transactions; partnerships and joint ventures and other subjects.Close
Allen B. Walburn
Mr. Walburn has extensive experience in a broad range of taxation matters, including corporate and partnership... | Read More
Mr. Walburn has extensive experience in a broad range of taxation matters, including corporate and partnership taxation, real estate taxation, executive compensation, equity-based compensation, international tax, tax issues related to bankruptcies and debt workouts, REITs, sales and use tax and property tax. He structures corporate, partnership and real estate transactions, including entity formation.Close
Carey W. Smith
Arnold & Porter
He negotiates and documents sophisticated joint venture, private equity and debt placement arrangements, primarily in... | Read More
He negotiates and documents sophisticated joint venture, private equity and debt placement arrangements, primarily in the development, ownership and disposition of commercial real estate. He represents a client in all aspects of a complex real estate development transaction, including forming and documenting a venture with an equity partner in a tax-efficient manner.Close