Protecting Trademarks Abroad: Madrid Protocol vs. National Filing Directly in Foreign Jurisdiction
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to counsel for trademark owners regarding trademark registration strategy outside the U.S. The panel will take an in-depth look at the advantages and disadvantages of using the Madrid Protocol, and filing national application through local counsel in the foreign jurisdiction. The panel will examine the factors that U.S. trademark applicants should consider when determining where to file and offer guidance regarding the mechanics of making such filings.
- Pros and cons of filing under Madrid Protocol
- Multi-class registrations
- Dependency period
- Pros and cons of filing directly in individual countries
- Scope of identification of goods/services
- Cost of local counsel
- Considerations for determining whether to file under the Madrid Protocol or directly in the foreign jurisdiction(s)
- Guidance for making the filing determination
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What factors should be considered when determining where to register a mark outside the U.S.?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of filing under the Madrid Protocol?
- What are the pros and cons of filing directly in foreign jurisdictions?
Olivia Maria Baratta
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton
Ms. Baratta concentrates her practice in the areas of international and domestic brand strategy, portfolio... | Read More
Ms. Baratta concentrates her practice in the areas of international and domestic brand strategy, portfolio management, multi-jurisdictional dispute management, enforcement, social media, and domain name disputes. She serves clients in the communications, accounting, aluminum, pharmaceutical, medical device, automotive, and alcoholic beverage industries.Close
Sheila Fox Morrison
Davis Wright Tremaine
Ms. Morrison provides trademark and brand protection services with significant industry intelligence in the food and... | Read More
Ms. Morrison provides trademark and brand protection services with significant industry intelligence in the food and beverage, restaurant, healthcare, entertainment, and technology industries. Her practice provides efficient counsel to support the domestic and foreign trademark maintenance, clearance, registration, strategic brand protection and enforcement, and licensing needs of her clients.Close