Property Tax Exemptions and Abatements: Successful Negotiation Strategies
Proven Approaches for Minimizing Your Company's Tax Bill
Recording of a 90-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
- Analyzing Available Property Tax Incentives
- Standard of proof for applicants
- Reduction in assessment as an incentive
- Jurisdictions’ conditions
- How to calculate the abatement
- Establishing A Rapport With Jurisdiction Officials
- Creating An Advance Plan For Seeking Exemption
- Identifying other, valid options for company investment
- Assembling an internal team
- Deciding how, when to contact jurisdiction
- Crafting a comprehensive proposal
- Application Processes
- With or without annual recertifications
- Getting guidance on complexity of recertifications
- Negotiating Abatements Or Exemptions
- Necessary requirements
- Negotiating number of years
- Negotiating sliding scale of property tax benefit
- Determining if additional investments will be needed
- Dealing With Clawbacks
- Attempting to mitigate terms
- Making other company departments aware of potential costs
- Impact Of Appeal Rights
- Maintaining right to appeal fair value in a way that doesn’t jeopardize exemption
The panel provides guidance and thoroughly briefs you on:
- Crafting a cohesive strategy for approaching government officials about property tax exemptions — including honest options about where else the company could expand.
- Analyzing the potential value of a property tax exemption by running preliminary cash flows and calculating the valuation threshold.
- Negotiating the duration and amount of a property tax exemption, jobs and investment performance standards, and forbearance if those standards aren’t met.
- Adjusting your strategy for real vs. personal property, and local vs. state governments.
Gregory F. Servodidio
Pullman & Comley
He works with corporate clients on assessment and valuation proceedings for headquarters and other business buildings,... | Read More
He works with corporate clients on assessment and valuation proceedings for headquarters and other business buildings, as well as on eminent domain actions for business and individual clients.Close
Pullman & Comley
She practices in ad valorem personal and real property tax appeals and eminent domain hearings. She has worked in the... | Read More
She practices in ad valorem personal and real property tax appeals and eminent domain hearings. She has worked in the property valuation arena since 1992 as a consultant for accounting, law or consulting firms.Close
Property Tax Consultant
E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Co.
He has worked for the company since 2002 and focuses on property tax and incentive compliance, plant analysis,... | Read More
He has worked for the company since 2002 and focuses on property tax and incentive compliance, plant analysis, assessment reviews and other topics. He formerly worked for KPMG and the Harris County, Texas (Houston) Appraisal District.Close
Access Anytime, Anywhere
CPE credit is not available on downloads.
On-Demand Seminar Audio