Promoting Diversity in Corporate Law Departments and Law Firms: Effective Inclusion Strategies to Eliminate Bias
Hiring and Retaining Diverse Counsel; Implementing and Measuring Diversity Initiatives; Influencing Outside Law Firms
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance for corporate legal departments and law firms with regard to hiring, promoting and retaining diverse attorneys; corporate law departments' influence on diversity in outside law firms; and implementing and evaluating the effectiveness of attorney diversity programs.
This program is eligible for California “Elimination of Bias” credit and Minnesota “Elimination of Bias” credit. For other states, please contact our CLE Department to determine if CLE credit is available in your state.
- Legal landscape for diversity
- Diversity in the legal profession—current statistics and trends
- How corporate legal departments are meeting diversity requirements
- How law firms are addressing diversity
- Issues raised by having diversity policies
- Best practices for recruiting diverse attorneys
- Best practices for retaining diverse attorneys
- Mentoring programs (formal and informal)
- Resources to assist diverse attorneys succeed
- Role of general counsel/senior partners
- Professional development opportunities
- Promotional opportunities
- Best practices for implementing and measuring impact of diversity programs
- How corporate law departments can influence the diversity efforts of outside counsel
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What steps are corporate legal departments and law departments taking to ensure that attorney diversity is a priority?
- What are some best practices for recruiting, hiring and retaining attorneys of diverse backgrounds?
- What challenges have corporate law departments faced in implementing and measuring diversity programs?
- How can corporate legal departments help influence the diversity efforts of outside law firms?
Global Diversity and Inclusion Executive and Consultant
The FutureWork Institute
Mr. Davis has successful, progressive experience in all aspects of leadership development, talent management,... | Read More
Mr. Davis has successful, progressive experience in all aspects of leadership development, talent management, organizational development, global diversity and inclusion consulting, and project management. He is skilled in diversity strategy design and implementation, domestic and global diversity organization culture assessment, executive diversity education and coaching, the development of demonstrable diversity champion behaviors, and multi-cultural marketing.Close
Mr. Dorantes supports AT&T’s Government, Education and Healthcare Device Sales Group. He... | Read More
Mr. Dorantes supports AT&T’s Government, Education and Healthcare Device Sales Group. He also serves on the AT&T Legal Department Diversity Committee. Prior to joining AT&T, Mr. Dorantes worked as an associate at Munsch, Hardt, Kopf & Harr, PC in Dallas, and as in-house counsel at Nextel Communications (before the Sprint Nextel merger). Alan obtained his J.D., B.B.A. and B.F.A. degrees from Southern Methodist University.Close
Andrea (Andi) Groomes
Certified Coach & Consultant
Ms. Groomes brings to her work a successful track record as a leader of award-winning teams including more than 20... | Read More
Ms. Groomes brings to her work a successful track record as a leader of award-winning teams including more than 20 years in corporate leadership roles at CIGNA HealthCare, specifically serving as VP for a regional sales team. As an executive coach and consultant, she helps clients build multi-million dollar practices by leveraging strengths and building strategic relationships. Ms. Groomes gained expertise coaching for diversity via assignments with high potential clients in the legal industry. Her leadership and communication expertise helps her clients navigate the path to success.Close
Sylvia F. James
Ms. James works closely with the Firm’s Executive and Diversity Committees along with departments including HR,... | Read More
Ms. James works closely with the Firm’s Executive and Diversity Committees along with departments including HR, Recruiting and Development, Client Relations, and Practice Group Leadership to develop and implement diversity initiatives. She also monitors and analyzes the Firm’s trends in recruitment, development, and retention of women and minorities. Prior to joining Baker Botts, Ms. James was Senior Counsel at the law firm of Holland & Knight in Washington, D.C., specializing in corporate diversity counseling and labor and employment law.Close