Pre-Immigration Tax and U.S. Investment Planning for High Net Worth Individuals
Navigating the EB-5 Investor's Visa Program, Leveraging Tax Credits and Avoiding Tax Traps
Recording of a 90-minute CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE webinar will provide tax counsel and advisers with a comprehensive guide to the tax and investment planning challenges and opportunities for high net worth foreign clients seeking to immigrate to the United States. The panel will discuss strategies for minimizing the U.S. tax impact of foreign-source ordinary and capital income prior to establishing tax residency in the U.S., and will also detail the EB-5 program for nonresidents seeking to establish permanent residency through investment in the U.S. economy and the tax issues that can arise from participating in a regional center.
- Residency and tax consequences
- Pre-immigration planning goals
- Avoiding anti-deferral rules
- Minimizing transfer tax impact
- EB-5 visa program and tax considerations
- EB-5 and New Markets Tax Credits
- Covered expatriates and the “eight-year rule”
The panel will review these and other important issues:
- What are the key considerations in wealth preservation prior to a foreign individual becoming a U.S. resident for tax purposes?
- How to avoid anti-deferral rules in pre-immigration transactions
- How to navigate the EB-5 program through a regional center
- How does the “eight-year” rule operate for covered expatriates?
Larry J. Behar, Esq.
Behar Law Group
Mr. Behar specializes in solving complex immigration issues generating business immigration solutions when... | Read More
Mr. Behar specializes in solving complex immigration issues generating business immigration solutions when representing entrepreneurs, investors, multinational companies, professionals and completes family reunification. He published two books in multiple languages, How to Immigrate to U.S.A. and EB-5 United States Immigration through Investment.Close
Richard S. Lehman
United States Taxation and Immigration Law
Mr. Lehman's tax law practice focuses on an array of commercial transactions involving an international and... | Read More
Mr. Lehman's tax law practice focuses on an array of commercial transactions involving an international and domestic client base. He previously served as Senior Attorney, Interpretative Division, Chief Counsel’s Office, Internal Revenue Service, Washington D.C. He authored articles on taxation and was editor and contributing author of A Guide to Florida International Business and Investment Opportunities.Close