Physician Peer Review: Ensuring Immunity, Confidentiality and Compliance
Preserving Immunity or Leveraging Exceptions, Shielding Documentation, Complying With Statutory and JHACO Requirements
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide guidance for healthcare counsel on the peer review process, immunity and exceptions to immunity. The panel will examine recent decisions that make the peer review process and immunity not as absolute as once thought as well as discuss reporting conduct to the National Practitioner Data Bank.
- Peer review immunity
- Federal and state law
- Exceptions to immunity
- Preserving immunity
- Peer review process
- Statutory requirements for the process
- Procedural requirements
- JCAHO requirements
- Bylaws and other organizational documents
- Drafting medical staff bylaws
- Amending medical staff bylaws
- Antitrust and peer review
- NPDB reporting
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the lessons from recent decisions addressing peer review immunity?
- What protections are available to peer reviewers and those subject to the peer review process?
- What steps should counsel for healthcare facilities take to ensure the peer review process and its privileges comply with JCAHO and statutory requirements?
Keith C. Dennen
Mr. Dennen concentrates his practice in the areas of health care law, intellectual property law, estate and probate,... | Read More
Mr. Dennen concentrates his practice in the areas of health care law, intellectual property law, estate and probate, employment law, corporate and transactional law and litigation.Close
Billee Lightvoet Ward
Ms. Ward represents healthcare providers, medical device manufacturers, and other healthcare-related entities in... | Read More
Ms. Ward represents healthcare providers, medical device manufacturers, and other healthcare-related entities in corporate and transactional matters, and counsels them on compliance with federal and state fraud and abuse laws, privacy laws including HIPAA and HITECH, federal and state laws governing health facilities and health professionals, and FDA and other laws relating to human subjects research. She assists her healthcare clients in the drafting and implementation of policies and procedures, medical staff and corporate bylaws, and other documents essential to their operations.Close