Pharmaceutical Waste Management: Compliance for Hospitals, Pharmacies, and Other Healthcare Facilities
Leveraging Recent Environmental Enforcement Actions and Understanding Policy Shifts to Ensure Regulatory Compliance
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance for counsel to healthcare facilities on structuring and implementing pharmaceutical waste management practices to ensure compliance with federal and state laws. The panel will examine recent enforcement actions and the practical lessons for health and environmental counsel.
- Laws and regulations governing pharmaceutical waste management
- Clean Water Act
- Controlled Substances Act
- State statutes
- Recent enforcement actions and lessons from them
- Pharmaceutical waste management programs to ensure compliance
- Structuring program
- Identification of hazardous waste
- Determination of generator status
- Recordkeeping and reporting requirements
- Accounting for state variations
- How to plan for federal reform and state policy deviations
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What challenges do hospitals, retail pharmacies and other healthcare entities face as a result of the increased environmental enforcement?
- What lessons can be learned from what other healthcare facilities did or did not do in their pharmaceutical waste management?
- What steps should healthcare entities take to ensure compliance with EPA and state regulations in the disposal of pharmaceuticals?
Gregory W. Blount
Mr. Blount has broad experience representing clients in matters related to environmental law and policy for over 30... | Read More
Mr. Blount has broad experience representing clients in matters related to environmental law and policy for over 30 years, including related civil litigation and enforcement issues in state and federal courts. His experience includes work for chain groceries and pharmacies on retail and pharmaceutical hazardous waste issues. His representations have involved all major environmental statutes in the U.S. and have included successful work on developing consensus for environmental statutes and administrative rules related to hazardous waste and water quality.Close
Charlotte A. Smith
Senior Regulatory Advisor
WMSS PharmEcology Services
Ms. Smith founded PharmEcology Associates, LLC in 2000 and sold the company to Waste Management in 2009. She... | Read More
Ms. Smith founded PharmEcology Associates, LLC in 2000 and sold the company to Waste Management in 2009. She co-founded Capital Returns, Inc., a nationally known pharmaceutical reverse distributor, in 1991 and for 10 years served as president and chief regulatory advisor. She is a registered pharmacist.Close
Darrell J. Oman
Program Manager – Consulting Services
Stericycle Environmental Solutions
Mr. Oman has over 30 years of consulting and management experience in the Environmental, Health and Safety... | Read More
Mr. Oman has over 30 years of consulting and management experience in the Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) field. At Stericycle, he provides healthcare systems consulting services to achieve compliance with federal, state and local environmental protection laws, including guidance on corrective plans and actions on environmental inspection violation notices, implementation of pharmaceutical and hazardous waste management programs for hospital facilities and systems. He develops and conducts environmental compliance and waste management training programs and modules for healthcare professionals.Close