Personal Injury Contingency Fee Trap Under Tax Reform: Avoiding Hidden Settlement Obstacles and Malpractice Issues
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss the hidden “contingency fee trap” caused by the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which affects most personal injury plaintiffs. This webinar will explore the latent obstacles to settlement and possible malpractice issues that may arise for personal injury attorneys under the new law.
- Overview of contingency fee tax treatment before and after the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Case studies and figures with redacted real life examples of the contingency fee trap
- Discussion of what tactics will and will not work to sidestep the fee trap under the wording of the tax code and Commissioner v. Banks
- Practice tips for attorneys to provide adequate counsel on the contingency fee trap and avoid possible malpractice claims
The panel will review these and other high priority issues:
- What is the contingency fee trap and how was it created?
- Who does the contingency fee trap affect?
- What are the real life implications and effects of the contingency fee trap?
- How can practitioners best mitigate the contingency fee trap?
Chief Executive Officer, Chief Compliance Officer
Eastern Point Trust
Lawrence J. Eisenberg
Lawrence J. Eisenberg
Mr. Eisenberg has been practicing law for over 34 years, and has specialized exclusively in ERISA, pensions, executive... | Read More
Mr. Eisenberg has been practicing law for over 34 years, and has specialized exclusively in ERISA, pensions, executive compensation and employee benefits for over 32 years. He represents employers and businesses of all types - including private companies, public companies and nonprofit entities. Mr. Eisenberg also works with and for other law firms and accounting firms who need ERISA and employee benefit expertise.Close
Phillip M. Krause, CSSC, CLMP
Managing Director of Strategic Planning
Mr. Krause serves as the Managing Director of Strategic Planning for Ringler Associates, the largest and oldest... | Read More
Mr. Krause serves as the Managing Director of Strategic Planning for Ringler Associates, the largest and oldest settlement consulting firm the in U.S. As a settlement consultant, he has worked on a variety of cases including the NFL concussion settlement, aviation losses, medical malpractice, product liability, employment and contract disputes, class action and mass torts. Mr. Krause manages the firm’s key strategic partner relationships and assists all firm consultants nationwide with complex cases, which often require more comprehensive planning. A subject matter expert in the financial services industry, he currently serves as a Council Member to the Gerson Lehrman Group and a FINRA Arbitrator.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
A savings of $120
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$274 + $9.45 S&H