Personal Injury Claims and the Medicare Secondary Payer Act
Strategies for Claims Settlement to Mitigate MSP and Section 111 Liability Risks
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide personal injury counsel with a review of liability risks under the Medicare as Secondary Payer Act and Section 111. The panel will discuss recent legal developments and proposed reform measures, and provide best practices for minimizing risks and legal compliance for settlements.
- Medicare as Secondary Payer Act liability
- Liability issues for plaintiff's counsel
- Liability issues for defendant's counsel
- Measures to minimize MSP liability in settlements
- Section 111
- Reporting overview
- Medicare queries
- Settlement agreements and releases
- Recent legal developments
- Case law
- Recent reform measures
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the personal injury counsel's responsibilities regarding Medicare’s interests when settling a case?
- How does the MMSEA affect personal injury settlements?
- What is the potential liability to the government for the attorneys involved in personal injury suits?
- What are the reporting requirements of Section 111—and who is responsible for compliance?
- How have recent cases expanded the potential liability to Medicare?
- What are the reform efforts that are pending in this area?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Jeremy T. Burton
Lipe Lyons Murphy Nahrstadt & Pontikis
Mr. Burton focuses on defending product liability, premises liability, insurance and commercial matters in state... | Read More
Mr. Burton focuses on defending product liability, premises liability, insurance and commercial matters in state and federal courts. He represents settling plaintiffs and defendants with respect to the Medicare, Medicaid and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007. He has shepherded parties through disputes with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and has drafted settlement documents to reflect the new Medicare laws.Close
Section 111 Senior Legal Counsel
ISO Crowe Paradis
He is an authority in Medicare Secondary Payer compliance. He practiced insurance defense litigation for ten years in... | Read More
He is an authority in Medicare Secondary Payer compliance. He practiced insurance defense litigation for ten years in the areas of workers' compensation and general liability. He now dedicates his practice exclusively to MSP compliance working with carriers, self-insureds, TPAs and other claims professionals in addressing MSP compliance issues.Close