Payment and Performance Surety Bonds in Construction Projects: Perspectives of Owners, Contractors and Sureties
Asserting and Defending Surety Bond Claims and Exploring a Cost Effective Alternative to Protect Rights or Maximize Recovery
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide construction counsel with a review of payment and performance bond coverage issues. The panel will outline key aspects of bond disputes and discuss best practices to maximize recovery and protect interests in disputes.
- Payment bond coverage issues and common disputes
- Private vs. Miller Act bonds
- Parties and work qualifying for coverage
- Recovery for extra work, delay damages, profits etc.
- Surety obligations and defenses
- Performance bond coverage issues and common disputes
- Declaration of default and surety options
- Covered claims
- Surety defenses to owner’s claims on the bond
- Owner’s claims against the surety
- Best practices for maximizing recovery and protecting interests
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What protections do payment and performance bonds provide various stakeholders in the project?
- What are some of the more common pitfalls in making claims against surety bonds?
- What lessons can counsel learn from recent case law to preserve and protect bond claim rights?
Michele Leo Hintson, Esq.
Schumaker Loop & Kendrick
Ms. Hintson has over a decade of experience handling a wide variety of disputes, including those involving payment and... | Read More
Ms. Hintson has over a decade of experience handling a wide variety of disputes, including those involving payment and performance bonds. She dedicates her practice to representing businesses and insurance companies, and also advises health care organizations and individuals in all aspects of the dispute resolution process. She also frequently negotiates settlements and drafts settlement agreements on behalf of her clients.Close
Christopher L. McCloskey
Bricker & Eckler
Mr. McCloskey focuses his practice on construction-related contracting and disputes, as well as general business and... | Read More
Mr. McCloskey focuses his practice on construction-related contracting and disputes, as well as general business and litigation. He is experienced in researching and drafting motions for construction lawsuits, reviewing construction contracts, construction claims, change orders, purchase orders, project analysis, mechanic's liens, bid strategy and project coordination.Close