Patient Safety Organizations: Confidentiality and Privilege Challenges
Navigating HIPAA Compliance, Peer Review, and Reporting Requirements
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE seminar will examine privilege and confidentiality concerns triggered by the use of patient safety organizations for counsel to healthcare providers and offer strategies for protecting the privilege when utilizing PSOs.
- Overview of PSOs
- Patient Safety Rule
- Patient safety evaluation system (PSES)
- Required disclosures
- Patient safety work product (PSWP)
- Withdrawing collected information
- Interaction with HIPAA
- HIPAA privacy regulations
- HITECH business associates
- PSOs and peer review
- State peer review protections
- PSO protections for state peer review activities
- Best practices
- Structuring PSES
- Maximizing protection
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- When is information provided to the PSO subject to disclosure?
- How does HIPAA impact PSOs and of which requirements must providers and PSOs be aware?
- What steps can healthcare providers take to maximize protection of privileged information?
Anne M. Murphy
Holland & Knight
Her practice focuses on resolution of complex regulatory, compliance, legal risk management, corporate governance and... | Read More
Her practice focuses on resolution of complex regulatory, compliance, legal risk management, corporate governance and transactional matters, on behalf of healthcare and life sciences industry clients. She counsels clients on multi-faceted legal issues, including matters such as change of ownership/acquisition, patient safety program implementation, and corporate compliance program implementation.Close
Janice A. Anderson
She focuses on corporate healthcare and transactional law, including mergers and acquisitions, hospital/physician joint... | Read More
She focuses on corporate healthcare and transactional law, including mergers and acquisitions, hospital/physician joint ventures, physician relationships and contracting. She advises clients in the development of healthcare business structures to achieve strategic goals and has expertise in structuring hospital/physician alignment strategies to improve the quality and cost effectiveness of care.Close