Patents and Export Control Compliance: Managing Risk and Avoiding Unintentional Violations
Minimizing Export Control Liability in Patent Application Preparation, Development and Analysis of Innovation, and Licensing
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance for patent and other counsel on navigating the intersection of patents and export control laws. The panel will examine the challenges facing patent owners, when and where export control issues arise, and related licensing issues. The panel will offer best practices for complying with export control laws.
- Overview of export control laws
- ITAR and technologies regulated under ITAR
- EAR and technologies regulated under EAR
- Challenges patent owners face
- When and where export control issues arise
- Employment or interaction with foreign nationals in the U.S. and abroad to develop/analyze technological innovation
- Patent licensing
- Cloud storage
- Licensing issues
- Best practices for compliance with export control laws
The panel will review these and other essential issues:
- What export control compliance challenges do patent owners and applicants face?
- When do export violations arise in the patent context?
- What are the best practices for counsel to patent owners for compliance with ITAR and EAR requirements?
David G. Henry, JD
Gray Reed & McGraw
Mr. Henry focuses his practice on patent litigation prosecution and defense; patent and trademark strategic planning,... | Read More
Mr. Henry focuses his practice on patent litigation prosecution and defense; patent and trademark strategic planning, prosecution and licensing; and trademark and trade secret litigation. He has extensive experience in assisting his clients in identifying, strategically managing and protecting domestic and foreign IP assets, as well as prosecuting or defending patent infringement and trademark infringement claims in federal courts throughout the U.S. Mr. Henry provides IP-related and export control related consulting services for businesses throughout the world, but in particular in the context of China’s rapidly evolving IP environment.Close
Edward J. Radlo
Radlo IP Law Group
Mr. Radlo is a highly experienced patent attorney who represents many prominent corporations and universities. He... | Read More
Mr. Radlo is a highly experienced patent attorney who represents many prominent corporations and universities. He engages in patent prosecution, licensing, export control compliance, and patent litigation in the fields of telecommunications, computer hardware and software, data security, cryptography, and semiconductor processing. Mr. Radlo has authored many publications in cryptography and the law, patent harmonization, and other topics, and has been a frequent speaker at legal and scientific symposia. He has a particular interest in international patenting, and has worked with the American Bar Association in this area for many years.Close