How to Use Broadest Reasonable Interpretation to Your Advantage in Patent Prosecution
Establishing Scope of Claims, Avoiding Sect. 112(f), Preserving Enforceability
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance for patent prosecution in light of the BRI standard. The panel will examine not only recent Federal Circuit decisions but will take a look at decisions from the USPTO’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board that provide practical lessons for using BRI to your advantage in prosecution.
- BRI standard and how it’s being applied
- PTAB and Federal Circuit decisions
- Practice tips for claim drafting
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What guidance do Federal Circuit and PTAB decisions give patent counsel on the application of BRI?
- What arguments are effective in overcoming patent examiners’ unreasonable claim interpretations?
- Why is defining claim terms in specification and using the definitions critical?
- How can patent counsel distinguish cases where extrinsic evidence has been used to supplement the specification? If and when should extrinsic evidence be used?
Prior to forming the firm, an IP boutique serving clients nationally and internationally, Mr. Bieneman was a partner in... | Read More
Prior to forming the firm, an IP boutique serving clients nationally and internationally, Mr. Bieneman was a partner in a Michigan IP firm. He was also a patent examiner with the USPTO, where he examined claimed inventions in the areas of computer software, databases, and the World Wide Web. Mr. Bieneman has served as an adjunct professor of Computer Law at the Thomas M. Cooley Law School.Close
Mr. Francis specializes in preparing and prosecuting U.S. and foreign patent applications as well as counseling clients... | Read More
Mr. Francis specializes in preparing and prosecuting U.S. and foreign patent applications as well as counseling clients on a full spectrum of IP matters. He advises clients on strategically building and maintaining patent and trademark portfolios based on client product lines and business plans. Mr. Francis has prepared and prosecuted mechanical and electrical patent applications in numerous technologies and industries and also counsels clients on patent issues including FTO investigations, infringement and validity opinions, and designing products around patents owned by competitors.Close