Patent Design Arounds: Minimizing Risk of Infringement or Reducing Likelihood of Competitor Design Arounds
Navigating Claims, Specifications, Prosecution History, Prior Art, and Other Key Considerations
A live 90-minute premium CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to patent counsel on how to leverage design arounds to reduce the risk of patent infringement. The panel will also discuss what counsel can do when drafting patent applications to minimize the likelihood that competitors can design around the patent.
- Using design arounds to minimize infringement risk
- Prior art
- What can be altered/tweaked?
- Are there elements that can be eliminated?
- Continuation applications pending?
- Costs to license?
- Drafting patents to reduce the likelihood of another party design around the patent
- Design arounds and damages
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What factors should patent counsel consider when seeking a design around of a valid patent?
- What steps can patent counsel take when preparing a patent application to reduce the likelihood of design arounds?
- What role do design arounds play in the context of damages?
Patrick G. Burns
Greer Burns & Crain
Mr. Burns’ practice is focused on patent prosecution and opinions. He has handled litigation involving a variety... | Read More
Mr. Burns’ practice is focused on patent prosecution and opinions. He has handled litigation involving a variety of intellectual property disputes in the Federal Circuit, federal district courts and the International Trade Commission. Mr. Burns is a prolific author and lecturer on IP property rights and was an adjunct professor at Chicago-Kent College of Law from 2006-2013, and has recently returned.Close
Dale S. Lazar
DLA Piper LLP (US)
Mr. Lazar counsels on intellectual property matters concerning a variety of technologies. He concentrates his practice... | Read More
Mr. Lazar counsels on intellectual property matters concerning a variety of technologies. He concentrates his practice in patenting electronic technology, patenting and copyrighting computer hardware and software, litigating patents and copyrights, negotiating and drafting licenses for patents and software and preparing software-related agreements.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Early Discount (through 10/16/20)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $300 (through 10/16/20)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$394 + $24.45 S&H