Open Source Licenses After Jacobsen v. Katzer
Best Practices for Copyright Compliance in Software Licensing
Federal Circuit Expands Scope of Liability
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
- Open source licenses
- Type of licenses
- Jacobsen v. Katzer (Fed. Cir. Aug. 13, 2008)
- Federal Circuit’s ruling
- Enforceability of open source licenses
- Covenants and conditions
- Impact of the Jacobsen decision
- Enforceability of licenses
- Expanded scope of liabilities
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- How does the Federal Circuit's ruling change the landscape for open source licenses?
- What is Jacobsen's broader impact for all software licenses?
- What are the best practices for licensees to ensure compliance with open source license agreements?
- How does the distinction between covenants and conditions impact remedies?
Elaine M. Laflamme
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
She works with technology and Internet companies in negotiating and drafting IP, information technology and... | Read More
She works with technology and Internet companies in negotiating and drafting IP, information technology and Internet-related agreements, including software, trademark and copyright licenses. She is a member of the firm's IP Group and Technology Practice Group, focusing on the licensing, trademark, copyright and privacy needs of technology companies and departments.Close
Becky L. Troutman
Winston & Strawn
She focuses on intellectual property and technology transactions and counseling and practices extensively in open... | Read More
She focuses on intellectual property and technology transactions and counseling and practices extensively in open source software counseling. She conducts due diligence investigations and drafts and negotiates technology contracts, including research and development, consulting, license, e-commerce, and outsourcing agreements.Close
Paul H. Arne
Morris Manning & Martin
He co-chairs the firm's Technology Transactions Group and the Privacy and Security Group. He focuses on open source... | Read More
He co-chairs the firm's Technology Transactions Group and the Privacy and Security Group. He focuses on open source software, outsourcing matters, international transactions, and privacy issues. He is also involved with development, manufacturing, and distribution involving medical devices.Close
Other Formats— Anytime, Anywhere
CLE On-Demand Audio