Noncompete Agreements: Latest Litigation Developments
Crafting and Enforcing Contracts That Protect Confidential Business Information and Trade Secrets
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare employment counsel to craft clear and enforceable noncompete agreements that are likely to stand up in court. The panel will also discuss litigation strategies for employment counsel pursuing or defending noncompete litigation.
- How can employers protect themselves?
- Secure promise not to compete during pre-hire negotiations
- Draft noncompete with enforcement in mind
- Cross-border noncompete agreements
- Minimizing litigation risks when hiring employees with restrictive covenants and/or access to trade secrets
- Litigation considerations
- Litigate or settle early?
- What forum?
- Potential claims
- Preliminary relief
- Benefits of obtaining a declaratory judgment in a favorable jurisdiction as quickly as possible
- Discovery while trying to do business
- Trial strategies
- Issues arising in the social media context
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- How can noncompete agreements be structured to avoid being found an unfair restraint on trade and competition?
- What are the key steps for employers to follow, beginning with hiring and prior to a termination, to reinforce the confidentiality of company information with employees?
- How are employees using social media to violate noncompete agreements – and how can employers use social media to their advantage in enforcing them?
- What legal considerations should employment counsel take into account when deciding whether litigation is the most appropriate means for addressing an alleged breach of a noncompete agreement?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
She represents corporate clients in connection with trade secret litigation, restrictive covenants, wage and hour and... | Read More
She represents corporate clients in connection with trade secret litigation, restrictive covenants, wage and hour and Title VII class actions. She is a recent recipient of the Denver Business Journal's "40 Under 40" Award.Close
Peter A. Steinmeyer
Epstein Becker & Green
He is Co-Chair of the firm's Non-Competes, Unfair Competition and Trade Secrets Practice Group, and practices... | Read More
He is Co-Chair of the firm's Non-Competes, Unfair Competition and Trade Secrets Practice Group, and practices all aspects of labor and employment law. He regularly teaches seminars and gives speeches on a broad range of issues involving the workplace, and has been quoted in The Wall Street Journal, The Chicago Tribune, and other publications.Close