New Markets Tax Credits and Other Tax Incentives for Real Estate Development
Qualifying, Applying for and Using Tax Credits to Structure Real Estate Projects
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will brief counsel to real estate investors and developers on federal and state new markets, historic and energy tax credits. The panel will describe the qualification and application processes for these credits and offer practical approaches to use the credits to structure real estate projects.
- New markets tax credits
- Description of the federal new markets tax credit
- New markets qualification and application process and timetable
- Availability of new markets awards made in 2012
- State new markets tax credit programs
- Structuring real estate deals with new markets tax credits
- Historic rehabilitation tax credits
- Description of the federal historic tax credit
- Qualification and application process for historic credits
- State historic tax credit programs
- Structuring real estate deals with historic tax credits
- Energy tax credits
- Applicability to real estate projects
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- How can an investor or developer qualify and apply for future awards of these federal tax credits?
- How can an investor or developer access portions of the new markets awards already announced in 2012?
- What are some practical considerations for counsel structuring a real estate deal with tax credits?
- How can a developer or owner best incorporate these credits to make a project appeal to lenders?
- What is the legislative status of these federal credits?
- What state programs are available that parallel the federal credits and how are these state credits obtained?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Alan L. Kennard
He is the Chair of the New Markets Tax Credit Practice and a member of the firm's Real Estate and Tax Practices. He has... | Read More
He is the Chair of the New Markets Tax Credit Practice and a member of the firm's Real Estate and Tax Practices. He has substantial experience in federal, international, state and local tax matters involving corporations, partnerships and innovative investment structures, and focuses on tax credit financing, including new markets, historic and energy tax credits.Close
Peter J. Berrie
Faegre Baker Daniels
His practice focuses on tax credits, particularly historic tax credits and new markets tax credits, as well as real... | Read More
His practice focuses on tax credits, particularly historic tax credits and new markets tax credits, as well as real estate finance. He has extensive experience in financing development projects that require tax credits or other governmental subsidies, and is a frequent lecturer at seminars on new markets and historic tax credits.Close
Anthony Ilardi, Jr.
He is in the Taxation Practice Group, and concentrates on counseling developers, lenders, investors and community... | Read More
He is in the Taxation Practice Group, and concentrates on counseling developers, lenders, investors and community development entities with respect to federal and state tax credits and other economic development incentives. He focuses on tax planning for businesses, individuals, partnerships and limited liability companies, and advises clients on the tax aspects of real estate development.Close