Municipal Regulation and Use of Drones: Navigating FAA Rules, State Laws, and Preemption Issues
Leveraging Opportunities and Overcoming Challenges of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar for local government counsel will explore issues facing municipalities due to increased use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs)—or drones. The panel will discuss current Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations regarding drones, preemption issues that local governments must navigate, the use of drones by local governments, and local regulation of drones to further safety, privacy or proprietary interests.
- Overview of drone technology and uses
- Review of FAA laws, regulations and new “Part 107”
- Municipal regulatory issues arising from drone use
- Opportunities for municipal use of drones
- Preemption issues
The panel will review these and other noteworthy issues:
- What types of local UAV regulations are most vulnerable to FAA preemption?
- What risk management issues are raised by municipal use of drones?
- What privacy rights are implicated by municipal use of drones?
- How can municipalities use existing laws to regulate drones, such as zoning regulations to restrict drone takeoff and landing sites?
- What impact will the FAA’s new drone rules have on the ability of municipalities to regulate local drone use?
Mr. Barr focuses his practice on the aviation industry and product liability matters. He also maintains an active... | Read More
Mr. Barr focuses his practice on the aviation industry and product liability matters. He also maintains an active appellate practice. Mr. Barr’s clients include airports, airlines, original equipment manufacturers and operators. He has experience working with and against the Federal Aviation Administration, the Department of Transportation, the Department of Defense, and private litigants. As a pilot, he offers a unique perspective to his aviation clients.Close
Derke J. Price
Ancel Glink Diamond Bush DiCianni & Krafthefer
Mr. Price represents municipalities, park districts, school districts, townships, libraries & special... | Read More
Mr. Price represents municipalities, park districts, school districts, townships, libraries & special agencies. His practice includes appeals and trial work in both federal and state courts and concentrates in construction, land use and development, and environmental matters. He serves as special counsel to numerous municipalities. He frequently speaks at local government conferences on land use and construction law issues, and has contributed materials to numerous publications for municipal officials, planning and zoning authorities, counties, park district officials, townships and school districts on land use and construction issues.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Includes Early Discount Savings of $50 (through 07/27/18)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $250 (through 07/27/18)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$344 + $9.45 S&H