Motor Carrier Claims for Negligent Entrustment, Hiring, Training, and Retention
Discovery, Apportionment of Fault, Strategies for Averting Punitive Damages, and More
A live 90-minute CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide personal injury counsel through the claims; historical, emerging, and waning defenses; and the impact of suspension in 2020 of "hours of operations" regulations for certain types of drivers on proving or defending negligent entrustment, hiring, training, or retention claims against motor carriers, commercial drivers, and insurance companies in the wake of an accident.
- Negligent entrustment, hiring, and retention: elements of each claim
- Defense theories
- Discovery strategies
- Apportioning liability and damages between driver, motor carrier, and insurance company
- Impact of a motor carrier's admission of vicarious liability on negligent entrustment, hiring, and retention claim
- Best practices for defense counsel to minimize the risk of negligent entrustment, hiring, and retention claims
The panel will review these and other crucial issues:
- What makes negligent entrustment, hiring, or retention claims unique and challenging for personal injury plaintiff and defense counsel?
- What are the legal and practical considerations for personal injury attorneys pursuing negligent entrustment, hiring, or retention claims?
- What defenses are often raised in negligent entrustment, hiring, or retention claims, and how does the plaintiff's counsel respond to these defenses?
- Thinking outside the box regarding potential claims in a truck case--maximize the recovery for your client
Walter G. Latimer
Fowler White Burnett
Mr. Latimer is an AV-rated trial lawyer who focuses his practice on complex high-exposure transportation, toxic tort,... | Read More
Mr. Latimer is an AV-rated trial lawyer who focuses his practice on complex high-exposure transportation, toxic tort, product liability, premises liability, professional liability, general liability, resort and maritime torts, and other risks, from pre-trial through appeal. He is licensed in all courts in Florida, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Missouri, and has appeared in numerous other jurisdictions pro hac vice for trial. He has over thirty years of experience with both national and international clients in numerous successful high-exposure civil cases, in both state and federal courts around the country.Close
Fowler White Burnett
Mr. Renda is a shareholder in the Insurance Practice Group in the Fort Lauderdale and Miami offices. He is a civil... | Read More
Mr. Renda is a shareholder in the Insurance Practice Group in the Fort Lauderdale and Miami offices. He is a civil trial lawyer dedicated to defending businesses and individuals in matters involving serious personal injury arising from alleged conventional and professional negligence, product liability and toxic torts. Mr. Renda dedicates a significant portion of his practice to defending commercial motor carriers and commercial drivers in high damages, high exposure motor vehicle accidents with complex legal, scientific and medical issues. He is well versed in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Act (or FMCSA), as well other federal, state and local regulations governing interstate and intrastate motor carriers and commercial drivers.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Early Discount (through 02/26/21)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $170 (through 02/26/21)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$224 + $24.45 S&H