Motor Carrier Claims for Negligent Entrustment, Hiring and Retention
Navigating Discovery, Apportionment of Fault, Impact of Motor Carrier's Admission of Vicarious Liability, and More
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to personal injury counsel for proving or defending claims against motor carriers and insurance companies for negligent entrustment, hiring or retention of a truck driver in the wake of a trucking accident. The panel will discuss the elements of each claim, defense theories, discovery strategies, how fault may be apportioned between the driver, motor carrier and insurance company, and the impact of a motor carrier’s admission of vicarious liability.
- Negligent entrustment, hiring and retention—elements of each claim
- Defense theories
- Discovery strategies
- Apportioning liability and damages between driver, motor carrier and insurance company
- Impact of a motor carrier’s admission of vicarious liability on negligent entrustment, hiring and retention claim
- Best practices for defense counsel to minimize risk of negligent entrustment, hiring and retention claims
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What makes negligent entrustment, hiring or retention claims unique and challenging for personal injury plaintiff and defense counsel?
- What are the legal and practical considerations for personal injury attorneys pursuing negligent entrustment, hiring or retention claims?
- What defenses are often raised in negligent entrustment, hiring or retention claims?
J. Kent Emison
Langdon & Emison
A Fellow in the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and a frequent lecturer to bar associations and trial lawyer... | Read More
A Fellow in the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and a frequent lecturer to bar associations and trial lawyer groups nationwide, Mr. Emison devotes his practice to litigation in product liability, motor vehicle accidents, and other cases involving personal injury and wrongful death. In that role he has served as lead trial counsel in numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements and has handled cases all across the U.S.Close
Patrick E. Foppe, Esq.
Lashly & Baer
Mr. Foppe practices in civil litigation and represents corporate clients and insurance companies, frequently handling... | Read More
Mr. Foppe practices in civil litigation and represents corporate clients and insurance companies, frequently handling claims involving insurance defense, premises liability, personal injury, complex commercial motor vehicle accidents, products liability, wrongful death and general negligence. He conducts immediate response to serious accidents as part of the firm’s Rapid Response Team. Mr. Foppe currently serves on DRI’s Trucking Committee Steering Committee and is Chair of the Trucking Committee Special Litigation Group.Close
Mr. Wright’s practice is focused on representing trucking accident victims. He has served on the Board of... | Read More
Mr. Wright’s practice is focused on representing trucking accident victims. He has served on the Board of Governors for the Tennessee Association for Justice as well as the Executive Board of the American Association for Justice Interstate Trucking Litigation Group and as Co-Chair of the group’s Journal. Mr. Wright is a frequent author and lecturer on trucking litigation among other legal topics.Close