Medicare in Personal Injury Claim Settlements: Complying With Reporting Requirements and Satisfying Liens
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to counsel for settling personal injury claims while complying with CMS reporting requirements and satisfying Medicare liens for conditional payments.
- Medicare as Secondary Payer Act liability
- Liability issues for plaintiff’s counsel
- Liability issues for defendant’s counsel
- Measures to minimize liability in settlements
- Reporting requirements of Section 111 of the MMSEA
- Reporting overview
- Medicare queries
- Settlement agreements and releases
The panelist will review these and other key issues:
- When should Medicare set-asides be used?
- What are the reporting requirements of Section 111 of the MMSEA?
- What are best practices to ensure compliance when drafting a settlement?
Jeremy T. Burton
Lipe Lyons Murphy Nahrstadt & Pontikis
Mr. Burton focuses on defending product liability, premises liability, insurance and commercial matters in state... | Read More
Mr. Burton focuses on defending product liability, premises liability, insurance and commercial matters in state and federal courts. He represents settling plaintiffs and defendants with respect to the Medicare, Medicaid and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007. He has shepherded parties through disputes with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and has drafted settlement documents to reflect the new Medicare laws.Close