Maximizing Patent Prosecution Opportunities in Europe: Tactics for Counsel When Drafting U.S.-Origin Applications
Navigating Differing USPTO and EPO Legal Standards While Maintaining U.S. Patent Strategy
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance for patent counsel in drafting U.S.-origin patent applications to maximize prosecution opportunities in both the U.S. and Europe. After discussing each area, the panel will offer best practices for U.S. patent application drafters to protect inventions in Europe without sacrificing U.S. strategy.
- The EPO takes a literal approach to reading all documents
- Drafting applications with an eye to potential future amendments
- Inventive step
- Methods of treatment and diagnostic uses
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the key considerations for patent counsel drafting U.S. applications when global patent protection is anticipated or desired?
- What are the significant differences between the U.S. and European approaches to patent applications?
- What steps should counsel take when drafting U.S. patent applications to maximize protection in Europe?
Rebecca M. McNeill
Ms. McNeill offers intellectual property strategy and advises on new application preparation, patent prosecution (U.S.... | Read More
Ms. McNeill offers intellectual property strategy and advises on new application preparation, patent prosecution (U.S. and foreign), and preparation and negotiation of IP transactions, and provides the full scope of counseling services. She has a special interest in counseling clients on patent application filing and developing worldwide prosecution strategies in concert with clients’ business goals. She has managed and directed the U.S. and international patent portfolios for U.S. clients and has overseen the U.S. patent portfolio for international clients in Europe and Asia.Close
Jens Viktor Nørgaard
Partner, Head of Biotechnology & Plant Sciences
Mr. Nørgaard is a Partner and Head of Biotech at HØIBERG, a leading life-science IPR law firm in the... | Read More
Mr. Nørgaard is a Partner and Head of Biotech at HØIBERG, a leading life-science IPR law firm in the Medicon Valley Region in Denmark. He is a European patent attorney specializing in biotech and medtech practice with 15 years of experience, including a period as in-house director of IPR at two biotech companies.Close