Maximizing Patent Prosecution Opportunities in Europe: Tactics for Counsel When Drafting U.S.-Origin Applications
Navigating Differing USPTO and EPO Legal Standards While Maintaining U.S. Patent Strategy
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance for patent counsel in drafting U.S.-origin patent applications to maximize prosecution opportunities in both the U.S. and Europe. After discussing each area, the panel will offer best practices for U.S. patent application drafters to protect inventions in Europe without sacrificing U.S. strategy.
- The EPO takes a literal approach to reading all documents
- Drafting applications with an eye to potential future amendments
- Inventive step
- Methods of treatment and diagnostic uses
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the key considerations for patent counsel drafting U.S. applications when global patent protection is anticipated or desired?
- What are the significant differences between the U.S. and European approaches to patent applications?
- What steps should counsel take when drafting U.S. patent applications to maximize protection in Europe?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Rebecca M. McNeill
VIVICAR Law, PLLC
Ms. McNeill is a U.S. patent attorney at VIVICAR Law, PLLC, an IP and business law firm with an international client... | Read More
Ms. McNeill is a U.S. patent attorney at VIVICAR Law, PLLC, an IP and business law firm with an international client base where her client-focused practice includes patent prosecution, counseling and litigation. Ms. McNeill specializes in the biotech and pharma space with over 18 years of experience, including a long tenure at one of the U.S.'s largest IP firms. She has also served as the Head of IP and Legal Affairs for a venture-backed biotech startup.Close
Jens Viktor Nørgaard
Partner, Head of Biotechnology & Plant Sciences
Mr. Nørgaard is a Partner and Head of Biotech at HØIBERG, a leading life-science IPR law firm in the... | Read More
Mr. Nørgaard is a Partner and Head of Biotech at HØIBERG, a leading life-science IPR law firm in the Medicon Valley Region in Denmark. He is a European patent attorney specializing in biotech and medtech practice with 15 years of experience, including a period as in-house director of IPR at two biotech companies.Close