Mastering the Rules of S Corporation Shareholder-Employee Compensation
The Reasonable Compensation Standards and the Effects of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This webinar will provide tax advisers and other professionals with a comprehensive examination of the rules governing compensation of S corporation officers and shareholders, focusing on how to determine, document and support reasonable compensation to avoid or withstand IRS scrutiny.
- Requirement and standards for reasonable compensation
- Incentive compensation
- Equity compensation
- Case study
- Recent cases and anticipated changes arising from 2017 tax overhaul legislation
- Potential penalties on tax return preparers
The panel will review these and other important issues:
- What types of businesses and compensation arrangements are most likely to attract IRS challenge?
- Standards for structuring and defending compensation plans that are reasonable
- Treatment of equity compensation to service- provider employees
- How will the changes in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act impact compensation of S corporation shareholders?
Stephen D. Kirkland, CPA, CMC, CFC, CFF
Atlantic Executive Consulting
Mr. Kirkland has focus on determining reasonable compensation for business owners for 20 years. He prepares analyses to... | Read More
Mr. Kirkland has focus on determining reasonable compensation for business owners for 20 years. He prepares analyses to help business valuators normalize compensation for owners and their family members. He counseled hundreds of business owners, valuators, and attorneys nationwide, and has been retained by the IRS and U.S. Department of Justice attorneys as an expert witness in litigation over business-owner compensation. He testified in U.S. Tax Court cases concerning the amount of owner compensation.Close
Paul S. Hamann
Mr. Hamann is an expert on determining reasonable compensation for closely-held business owners. He has educated more... | Read More
Mr. Hamann is an expert on determining reasonable compensation for closely-held business owners. He has educated more than 30,000 tax advisors on the topic of reasonable compensation for shareholder-employees of S Corps and has been published in numerous state CPA society journals. He, along with other experts in their own fields founded RCReports in 2010. RCReports cloud software determines reasonable compensation for closely-held business owners and is used by CPA’s, EA’s, tax advisors, forensic accountants and valuators when they need to determine a reasonable compensation figure for a client.Close