Lone Pine Orders in Class Action, Mass Tort and Products Liability Litigation
Bringing and Defending Pre-Trial Motions Regarding Exposure, Causation and Damages
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will examine the standards for, benefits of, and disadvantages of Lone Pine orders and discuss effective strategies for bringing and defending motions for these orders.
- Overview of Lone Pine Orders
- Source of court’s authority
- Factors that prompt its use
- Use of Lone Pine Orders by the court
- Cases suited for Lone Pine Orders
- Mass torts
- Environmental and toxic torts
- Chemical exposure
- Products liability
- Defense perspective
- Strategic considerations for seeking a Lone Pine Order
- Arguments to support a motion for an order
- Case law supporting Lone Pine Orders
- Plaintiffs perspective
- Arguments against a Lone Pine Order
- Case law limiting use of Lone Pine Orders
- Using Lone Pine Orders to your advantage
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- For what types of complex litigation are Lone Pine orders best suited?
- What factors must defendants consider before and when seeking Lone Pine orders?
- How can plaintiffs use Lone Pine orders to their advantage?
- When are Lone Pine orders appropriate and effective for single injury cases?
John Randall Whaley
Neblett Beard & Arsenault
His practice focuses on class actions, complex litigation, consumer protection, wrongful death, and serious personal... | Read More
His practice focuses on class actions, complex litigation, consumer protection, wrongful death, and serious personal injury representing victims and consumers injured by the negligence and fraud of others. He is an experienced litigator, having tried many cases and class certification issues in both state and federal courts, as well as having argued in many appellate courts.Close
Jay M. Jalenak
He practices in the firm’s Litigation Group and represents clients in toxic tort litigation, commercial and... | Read More
He practices in the firm’s Litigation Group and represents clients in toxic tort litigation, commercial and business litigation and personal injury defense. He has particular experience in the defense of area industrial facilities, warranty, asbestos, welding rod, toxic tort, premises and products liability claims, hearing loss claims, and regularly represents major businesses.Close
Shook Hardy & Bacon
His practice focuses in the defense of product liability claims. He has represented clients in national pharmaceutical... | Read More
His practice focuses in the defense of product liability claims. He has represented clients in national pharmaceutical litigations including Bayer, Eli Lilly and Co., and Wyeth. His responsibilities have included a wide range of pre-trial and trial activities and he has coordinated various Firm and inter-law firm litigation teams.Close