Litigating Trucking Accident Injury Claims: Theories of Liability, Impact of CSA Recordkeeping, and More
Plaintiff and Defense Approaches to Discovery, Pre-Trial Motions, and Damages
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide personal injury counsel with a review of conventional theories of liability in trucking accident injury cases and discuss the complexities involved with litigating and settling claims. In addition, the panel will explain the impact of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations and other legal and practical considerations when bringing or defending trucking injury claims.
- Common causes of trucking accidents
- Theories of liability
- Overview of federal trucking safety regulations
- Practical concerns for the practitioner
- Post-crash inspection
- What to include in an investigation
- Discovery considerations
- CSA data
- Admissibility of "preventable" designation
- Conditional carriers
- Pretrial motions
- Broker and shipper liability
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the rules that govern trucking safety?
- What role do driver hiring, training, and supervision play in determining liability?
- What are the most common causes of trucking accidents?
- What are the potential implications of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration data describing carriers and drivers?
- How is liability assigned between multiple defendants?
Bryan L. Bradley
Allen Law Group
Mr. Bradley focuses his practice on heavy truck and bus crash litigation and catastrophic personal injury and wrongful... | Read More
Mr. Bradley focuses his practice on heavy truck and bus crash litigation and catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death.Close
Renee J. Mortimer
Ms. Mortimer is the managing partner of the Highland, Indiana office of Lewis Brisbois, a vice-chair of the General... | Read More
Ms. Mortimer is the managing partner of the Highland, Indiana office of Lewis Brisbois, a vice-chair of the General Liability Practice, and a member of the Transportation Practice. She defends clients against large and excess personal injury and property damage claims in state and federal courts in Indiana and Illinois. As a member of our 24/7 Rapid Response Team, Ms. Mortimer handles matters concerning major trucking accidents, including managing incidents on-scene. She has tried these types of cases to verdict in both Illinois and Indiana.Close
Rey O. Villanueva
Golden Rothschild Spagnola Lundell Boylan & Garubo & Bell
Mr. Villanueva concentrates his practice in areas of General Liability, Construction, Labor & Employment, and... | Read More
Mr. Villanueva concentrates his practice in areas of General Liability, Construction, Labor & Employment, and Municipal/Traffic.Close