Leveraging Daubert Motions in Class Certification: Using or Challenging Expert Testimony Amid Divergent Court Standards
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare class counsel with defense strategies to evaluate and determine whether and when to raise a Daubert motion to prevent certification, and plaintiff strategies to defeat or obviate Daubert challenges pre-certification. The panel will examine the latest and varying court rulings on the appropriate level of scrutiny of expert testimony at the class certification stage.
- Latest court developments regarding standard of Daubert review at the certification stage
- Bringing and defending Daubert motions
- Preparing expert witnesses for the certification hearing
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What role do Daubert and expert testimony play at the class certification stage?
- What is the current state of the law on the appropriate standard of scrutiny?
- How does discovery set the stage for a successful or unsuccessful pre-certification Daubert challenge?
- When is a Daubert challenge not an appropriate tactic?
- What are best practices for plaintiff and defense counsel to defend against or bring pre-certification Daubert motions?
- How can counsel develop expert testimony to support or withstand a Daubert challenge during the class certification stage?
Tate J. Kunkle, Esq.
Marc J. Bern & Partners
Mr. Kunkle focuses his practice on environmental litigation, toxic torts and mass torts. He has helped recover over $50... | Read More
Mr. Kunkle focuses his practice on environmental litigation, toxic torts and mass torts. He has helped recover over $50 million dollars for individuals, towns, municipalities and companies harmed by environmental contamination and exposure to hazardous substances across the nation.Close
Steptoe & Johnson
Ms. Quinn-Barabanov concentrates her practice on class actions, mass torts, toxic torts, product liability... | Read More
Ms. Quinn-Barabanov concentrates her practice on class actions, mass torts, toxic torts, product liability matters, and other complex disputes. She has successfully defeated class certification in several cases seeking medical monitoring relief and is a recognized leader on issues related to the use of expert testimony in the context of class certification proceedings.Close