IP Protection for Mobile Apps: Navigating Name Selection, Trademark Clearance, Registration, Licensing and Infringement
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare IP counsel to anticipate and respond to legal challenges facing companies that develop and utilize mobile apps. The panel will examine and offer solutions to hurdles to getting IP protection for mobile apps, outline strategies for protecting and monitoring marks and minimizing infringement risks, and provide an overview of other legal strategies available to protect IP rights in mobile apps.
- Trademarking a mobile app
- Aspects of a mobile app that can be trademarked
- Use and public notice
- Trade names, TLDs, and other names for mobile apps
- Licensing mobile apps
- Due diligence
- Terms and conditions
- Alternatives to licensing
- Policing and monitoring
- Mobile app eco-system
- Trademark watch services
- Other IP rights in mobile apps
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What trademark issues should counsel anticipate and address during the development and use of mobile apps by a company?
- What are the infringement vulnerabilities for companies using mobile apps?
- How can companies with mobile apps avoid the IP rights of others?
- What strategies are available to IP counsel to employ in order to enforce trademarks in mobile apps?
Matthew D. Asbell
Ladas & Parry
Mr. Asbell assists clients in clearing, obtaining, enforcing, and defending trademark rights in the U.S. and throughout... | Read More
Mr. Asbell assists clients in clearing, obtaining, enforcing, and defending trademark rights in the U.S. and throughout the world. He also provides advice on patents, copyrights, domain names, and other related areas. He frequently collaborates on and authors articles on intellectual property on subjects ranging from social media and domain names to licensing, branding, and information technology. His certifications as a Social Media Strategist and Master Instructor equip him to handle complex intellectual property matters arising in the Web 2.0 space.Close
Alan S. Wernick
Wernick & Associates, Ltd.
Mr. Wernick brings more than 30 years of experience focused almost exclusively on technology, IP, data privacy/security... | Read More
Mr. Wernick brings more than 30 years of experience focused almost exclusively on technology, IP, data privacy/security transactions, and related legal matters. He has a background in computer programming, technology and accounting, enabling him to provide practical strategic advice and realistic risk assessments. Mr. Wernick is a frequent author and lecturer on computer and technology law.Close