IP Agreements: Structuring Indemnification and Limitation of Liability Provisions to Allocate Infringement Risk
A live 90-minute premium CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE course will prepare counsel to IP owners, licensees, and licensors to protect their interests by allocating infringement risks during negotiations using indemnification and limitation of liability provisions in the agreement. The panel will offer best practices for negotiating and structuring these provisions to effectively allocate risk between the parties.
- Agreements in which indemnification and limitation of liability provisions are likely to appear
- Common structures for indemnification provisions, including common exclusions from liability
- Common structures for limitation of liability provisions
- Best practices for negotiating and structuring these provisions to allocate risk
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What IP-specific issues should be considered when structuring indemnification and limitation of liability provisions in IP agreements?
- What are the most commonly disputed issues when negotiating indemnification, and what are some effective strategies for resolving them?
- What approaches should counsel use to protect a client's interests when negotiating an indemnification provision?
Lisa N. Collins
Ms. Collins leads the firm’s Patent Indemnification team where she has diverted and recovered more than nine... | Read More
Ms. Collins leads the firm’s Patent Indemnification team where she has diverted and recovered more than nine figures. She regularly advises clients on IP strategy, licensing, privacy, trade secrets, and portfolio management, and handles numerous technology transactions. In addition, Ms. Collins is a seasoned litigator who helps companies defend their products and intellectual property. She has extensive litigation experience, has tried several complex state and federal jury trials and specialized bench trials; has appeared as first and second chair before federal and state trial courts, administrative courts, and domestic and international arbitration panels; and has argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.Close
D. Brian Kacedon
Finnegan Henderson Farabow Garrett & Dunner
Mr. Kacedon is a recognized authority in IP transactions having drafted and negotiated hundreds of agreements across... | Read More
Mr. Kacedon is a recognized authority in IP transactions having drafted and negotiated hundreds of agreements across all technologies. He is designated as a Certified Licensing Professional. He has also successfully litigated multiple lawsuits and arbitrations based on his extensive transactional experience. Mr. Kacedon’s practice focuses on patent and technology licensing and litigation. In his transactional practice, he assists clients in conducting market assessments for their patents, conducts licensing negotiations, drafts licensing agreements, and participates in related litigations. His experience includes setting up and directing international patent licensing and enforcement programs, including one that resulted in more than 500 license agreements. Mr. Kacedon is a frequent presenter at legal and industry workshops and conferences and has served as adjunct professor teaching licensing at the George Washington University Law School.Close