Intra-Family Transactions in Estate Planning: Structuring Loans and Self-Cancelling Installment Notes
Strategies to Minimize the Gift Tax and Avoid Inclusion in the Gross Estate
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will guide estate planning counsel in the use of intra-family transactions for wealth shifting and preservation. Attendees will learn techniques and approaches to minimize gift tax consequences and avoid inclusion in the gross estate.
- Loan/note background
- Self-cancelling installment notes (SCINs)
- Alternatives to intra-family loans and SCINs
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What types of intra-family transactions are available to a grantor who wishes to assist family members financially while preserving wealth?
- How should counsel structure an intra-family loan to avoid IRS categorization as a disguised gift?
- How can trusts, family entities and individuals serve as “family banks”?
- Can existing loans be refinanced?
- What types of state law issues are implicated in intra-family loans?
- What considerations should be made in structuring self-cancelling installment loans?
Kathryn Baldwin Hecker
Arnall Golden Gregory
Ms. Hecker focuses her practice on complex wealth transfer planning, including federal and state wealth transfer... | Read More
Ms. Hecker focuses her practice on complex wealth transfer planning, including federal and state wealth transfer taxation, business succession planning, and charitable giving. She also has experience with probate and estate administration.Close
Scott K. Tippett
The Tippett Law Firm
Mr. Tippett's practice focuses on wealth law, as a comprehensive and integrated approach to domestic and... | Read More
Mr. Tippett's practice focuses on wealth law, as a comprehensive and integrated approach to domestic and international estate planning, asset protection planning, business matters, and tax issues. He is the principal author of The North Carolina Wealth Law Counselor and The Wealth Lawyer, informative blogs dedicated to wealth law, estate planning, and asset protection planning issues.Close
Michael L. Van Cise
Arnall Golden Gregory
Mr. Van Cise focuses his practice on sophisticated wealth transfer planning, federal and state wealth transfer... | Read More
Mr. Van Cise focuses his practice on sophisticated wealth transfer planning, federal and state wealth transfer taxation, business succession planning, charitable giving, and probate and estate administration. He advises high net worth individuals and families on planning vehicles to preserve family wealth and family values, and has experience assisting clients with grantor retained annuity trusts funded with assets including publicly traded securities, closely held businesses and holding companies.Close