Insurers' Reporting Obligations Under Medicare Medicaid SCHIP Extension Act
Complying with MMSEA Requirements for Non-Group Health Plan Payers
Are you ready for the looming deadline?
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide counsel with an overview of MSP and MMSEA obligations for insurers and self-insured entities. The panel will outline an effective compliance program to minimize liability for Medicare repayment obligations and discuss the impact of the MMSEA on the defense of general liability claims.
- Overview of MSP and MSSEA Act
- Medicare Secondary Payer Act
- Medicare, Medicaid and SCHIP Extension Act
- Types of claims covered
- Covered entities
- Role of third-party administrators
- Entities obligated to make MSP reimbursement
- MMSEA reporting obligations
- Claimant data
- Injury/claim data
- Obtaining necessary reporting data
- Determining eligibility for Medicare
- Claims submission process
- Timing of reporting obligation
- Fines and penalties
- Compliance measures
- Reporting processes and systems
- Medicare set-aside arrangements
- Indemnification provisions
- Third-party checks to CMS
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What must insurance companies and self-insured entities do to ensure compliance with the MMSEA's reporting mandates?
- Do the reporting requirements of the MMSEA apply to third-party administrators?
- How should counsel structure settlements to comply with the MMSEA?
- What are counsel's obligations under the MMSEA?
- What are the implications of the U.S. v. Stricker case on the government's ability to recover under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
W. Randall (Randy) Bassett
King & Spalding
He is a partner with the firm’s Product Liability Practice where he has over 15 years experience representing... | Read More
He is a partner with the firm’s Product Liability Practice where he has over 15 years experience representing foreign and domestic manufacturers in high exposure product liability cases. He has represented product manufacturers such as Reynolds American, Brown-Forman Corporation, General Motors, Purdue Pharma LP, Gilead Sciences, Sofamor Danek and Subaru in both federal and state courts.Close
She is an attorney in the Litigation Group at BP America and handles commercial and tort claims associated with the... | Read More
She is an attorney in the Litigation Group at BP America and handles commercial and tort claims associated with the Deepwater Horizon incident and response. She practiced at King & Spalding's Litigation Group prior to joining BP's in-house litigation team. She has conducted several webinars on the MMSEA and is under contract with West to write a primer on the subject to be available in the Fall.Close