Insured's Right to Independent Counsel: Conflicts of Interest, Multiple Insureds, Multiple Claims and More
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide insurance counsel with an in-depth review of the parameters of the insured’s right to appoint independent counsel. The panel will discuss varying court standards and emerging issues and outline best practices for both policyholders and insurers to resolve disputes over selection of counsel.
- Determining conflicts of interest
- Reservation of rights
- Multiple insureds
- Multiple claims
- Damages in excess of policy coverage
- Issues unrelated to coverage
- Policyholder options
- Insurer options
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- When will an insurer’s reservation of right to contest coverage create a conflict of interest?
- What should the insured consider in deciding whether to assert a right to independent counsel?
- What are the factors for the insurer to decide to issue a reservation of rights letter?
- What should the insured do if the insurer declines its request for independent counsel?
- How should the insurer respond to a demand for independent counsel?
Renee C. Callantine
Cornerstone Law Group
Ms. Callantine is the head of the Firm's insurance coverage practice. Her practice is primarily concentrated on... | Read More
Ms. Callantine is the head of the Firm's insurance coverage practice. Her practice is primarily concentrated on representing policyholders in coverage disputes, including litigation over alleged bad-faith claims handling. She also provides coverage advice and representation at appraisal hearings, and she assists brokers in responding to Department of Insurance complaints. She has extensive experience in property and casualty claims, ranging from personal lines homeowners and automobile policies to complex commercial lines policies. As a CPA, she is often asked to assist with claims and litigation involving complex business interruption losses or other complicated accounting issues.Close
Jonathan T. Viner
Nicolaides Fink Thorpe Michaelides Sullivan
Mr. Viner’s practice focuses on counseling and risk management. He has over 20 years of experience serving a... | Read More
Mr. Viner’s practice focuses on counseling and risk management. He has over 20 years of experience serving a domestic and international client base. Mr. Viner’s diverse experience includes evaluating and managing complex, multi-million dollar coverage disputes for insurers involving a wide range of subject areas. He also has significant experience litigating coverage and bad faith, representing insurers in cases pending across the country.Close