Insurance Issues in the Cannabis Industry: Managing Risk Under State and Federal Law
Traditional and Modified Insurance Products; Key Exclusions and Issues; First-Party Property and Products Liability Coverage
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will identify types of potentially insurable risk faced by the cannabis industry, review types of coverage, typical exclusions and associated legal issues, assess the state of the cannabis insurance market and state regulatory regimes, and provide practical guidance on obtaining insurance and addressing claims-related issues.
- Evolution of the cannabis industry and insurance products
- Key exclusions and issues for claims
- First-party property coverage litigation
- Products liability coverage litigation
- Miscellaneous cannabis-related insurance issues and practical considerations
The panel will review these and other high-priority issues:
- What are the unique risks in the cannabis industry and how are they potentially insurable?
- What types of coverage are available?
- What are the practical implications of federal and state law conflicts?
- What are the primary marijuana-related insurance coverage issues?
- What are the specific techniques counsel should employ when complying with public and private insurance requirements?
- What is the state of the cannabis insurance market and state insurance regulation for cannabis?
- What are the most marijuana-friendly jurisdictions?
- What are best practices for insurance procurement and claims-related issues?
Mr. Gilinsky is an experienced commercial litigator who applies his complex analysis skills with extensive... | Read More
Mr. Gilinsky is an experienced commercial litigator who applies his complex analysis skills with extensive experience in insurance coverage analysis and litigation and dispute resolution. His insurance coverage practice is focused on property insurance, commercial general liability insurance, directors' and officers' (D&O) insurance, captive insurance and reinsurance issues.Close
Jason M. Horst
Horst Legal Counsel
Mr. Horst represents companies in developing and implementing effective risk management strategies, including the... | Read More
Mr. Horst represents companies in developing and implementing effective risk management strategies, including the acquisition of appropriate insurance for the business risk his clients assume through their operations. Mr. Horst prepares and negotiates insurance specifications, wrap insurance endorsements, and indemnity provisions. For captive insurers, he drafts the insurance policies and provisions issued by the captive and assists them in navigating legal issues arising out of claims made under those policies.Close
Kathryn L. McCall
Sideman & Bancroft
Ms. McCall focuses on helping early stage and mature companies, as well as family-owned and life-style businesses,... | Read More
Ms. McCall focuses on helping early stage and mature companies, as well as family-owned and life-style businesses, succeed. As outside general counsel for many of her clients, she advises businesses on a wide variety of corporate and other legal matters. Ms. McCall also assists businesses in the cannabis industry develop the necessary infrastructure and organization to succeed while remaining in compliance with the complex legal and regulatory framework burdening the industry. Working with other members of the firm’s well-rounded cannabis industry team enables her to create a strategic and coordinated approach to not only business structuring, organizational, and regulatory matters but also IP, tax, estate planning, and business and criminal litigation issues.Close
Brian C. Richardson
Foundations Insurance & Financial Services
Mr. Richardson began his career in the financial services industry in 2000 as an agency owner for a large national... | Read More
Mr. Richardson began his career in the financial services industry in 2000 as an agency owner for a large national insurance company. He quickly realized that in order to objectively serve his clients and be fulfilled as a professional, a change to the independent side of the industry was needed. Integrity, passion and attention to detail are just a few of the strong values that have helped him shape his career and contribution to the firm.Close