Impact of Blended Families on Estate Planning: Effective Trust Structures, Beneficiary Challenges, Litigation
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide estate planners with a deep and practical guide to blended families' trust and estate planning challenges. The panel will offer specific guidance on structuring spousal trusts, ensuring premarital and joint property is titled to avoid probate or beneficiary challenges, and estate planning vehicles to incorporate prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. The panel will also offer a critical analysis of methods to minimize litigation risks and handling claims.
- Estate planning challenges unique to clients in second marriages or with blended families
- Impact of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements on estate plans
- Balancing maintenance of surviving spouse with a desire to pass on premarital assets to children or other beneficiaries
- Trust structuring
- Protecting against beneficiary challenges and litigation
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the marital deduction transfers available to provide for surviving spouses while preserving assets for children from prior marriages?
- What are the advantages and limitations of QTIP trusts?
- What mechanisms must estate planners be aware of to protect estate plans involving blended families from beneficiary challenges?
- What is the potential claim that can arise and effective strategies for handling litigation?
- Structuring unitrusts for clients with blended families
Laura M. Brancato
Ms. Brancato focuses her practice on elder law, medicaid planning, estate litigation and planning and special education... | Read More
Ms. Brancato focuses her practice on elder law, medicaid planning, estate litigation and planning and special education advocacy and litigation.Close