Hybrid Pension Plans: Navigating Complex ERISA and IRC Requirements to Minimize Liability Risks
Complying With Primary Regulations, Reconciling Nondiscrimination, Age Discrimination, Wear Away, Whipsaw Issues and More
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide ERISA counsel with strategies for structuring hybrid pension plans focusing on cash balance and pension equity plans, as well as litigation issues related to these plans. Experienced panelists will review the primary ERISA and IRC requirements and offer guidance on more controversial and complex issues applicable to hybrid plans.
- Cash balance plans
- Primary requirements
- Accumulated benefit/ “A plus B” requirement
- Annual credits
- Interest crediting rate
- Preservation of capital
- Accrual rules
- Nondiscrimination/IRC 401(a)(4)
- Controversial issues
- Age discrimination
- Conversion wear away
- Plan amendments
- Primary requirements
- Pension equity plans
- Litigation issues
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What combination of primary ERISA and IRC requirements are applicable to hybrid pension plans?
- How do IRC 401(a)(4) nondiscrimination rules apply to cash balance and pension equity plans?
- What controversial issues plague hybrid pension plans and how can counsel overcome those concerns?
- How have the IRS final regulations changed compliance requirements for hybrid pension plans?
- What are the latest developments related to hybrid plan litigation?
Amanda A. Sonneborn
Ms. Sonneborn has considerable experience in ERISA and employee benefits litigation including defense of claims for... | Read More
Ms. Sonneborn has considerable experience in ERISA and employee benefits litigation including defense of claims for benefits, breach of fiduciary duty claims, cash balance plan claims, breach of contract claims, and ERISA Section 510 employment discrimination claims. She devotes a considerable amount of her practice to litigation of class-action and multi-plaintiff claims.Close
J. Rose Zaklad
Groom Law Group
Ms. Zaklad advises clients on the design and administration of tax-qualified and nonqualified retirement plans. She... | Read More
Ms. Zaklad advises clients on the design and administration of tax-qualified and nonqualified retirement plans. She focuses on tax-qualified plan compliance issues, including IRS audits, rulings and corrections. Ms. Zaklad has extensive experience in assisting plan sponsors in navigating the plan termination process.Close