Hospital Acquisitions of Physician Practices
Legal Issues in Valuing, Negotiating and Structuring the Transaction
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide healthcare counsel with a review of the key legal issues involved in hospital acquisitions of physician practices, including applicable laws and regulations and valuation considerations. The panel will offer their guidance on negotiating and structuring the arrangements.
Key structural and legal considerations
Structuring the transaction
- Principal purchase terms
- Physician governance/management
- Physician employment contract and ancillary agreements
- Tax structuring considerations
- Federal fraud and abuse laws
- State law considerations
- Special considerations for tax exempt purchasers
- Legal aspects of determining fair market value
- Structuring the transaction
Fair market value and financial considerations
- Physician practice consolidation trends
- Valuation issues
- Compensation models for physicians
- Fairness opinions from independent financial advisors
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the key legal and business concerns for hospitals and physicians considering a hospital acquisition of a physician practice?
- How can acquisition deals be structured to ensure long-term value for the hospital?
- What compensation models have been most attractive or successful for hospitals negotiating employment with physicians?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Co-Head of Tax-Exempt M&A
He has been primarily involved with financial advisory engagements on behalf of hospitals and health systems, managed... | Read More
He has been primarily involved with financial advisory engagements on behalf of hospitals and health systems, managed care organizations, ambulatory surgery centers, specialty providers, and physician organizations. His engagements have encompassed a broad array of transactions including sales, acquisitions, mergers, joint ventures and restructurings, as well as the placement of debt and equity.Close
Michael L. Blau
Foley & Lardner
Mr. Blau's practice focuses on advising clients on corporate and regulatory matters, including mergers,... | Read More
Mr. Blau's practice focuses on advising clients on corporate and regulatory matters, including mergers, acquisitions and affiliations; financing transactions; contracting; and forming provider groups, networks, alliances, and joint ventures. He is the Chair of the firm's Health Care Venture Practice.Close
David L. Klatsky
McDermott Will & Emery
He has 20 years of experience in health industry mergers and acquisitions, with a focus on the transactional and... | Read More
He has 20 years of experience in health industry mergers and acquisitions, with a focus on the transactional and regulatory aspects of promoting collaboration among providers. He has recently been retained by a leading national healthcare improvement alliance to advise its members regarding the formation of accountable care organizations. He is a frequent speaker on provider integration strategies.Close