Form 6198 At-Risk Limitations: IRC 465 Calculations, Grouping, Elections and Schedules
Identifying Loss Deferrals, Recapture Requirements; Tracking Carry-Forward Amounts
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This webinar will provide tax advisers with an advanced guide to reporting loss limitations on Form 6198. The panel will have an in-depth discussion into the Section 465 rules and offer comprehensive and practical guidance on the complexities of maintaining at-risk amount schedules and carry-forwards. The webinar will also detail tactics for freeing up carry-forward losses and dealing with loss recapture.
- Taxpayers and activities subject to Section 465 at-risk limitations
- Activities that must be reported separately
- Aggregation rules
- Determination of amounts at risk
- Nonrecourse debt and amounts deemed not at risk
- Recapture rules
- Form 6198
The panel will discuss these and other important topics:
- What does—and does not—qualify as “at risk” for purposes of calculating loss limitation on pass-through activities?
- What elections and grouping approaches are available to minimize the impact of loss deferral due to at-risk limitations?
- Reporting carry-forwards and recapture of prior loss deductions on Form 6198
- Maintaining schedules and substantiation of carry-forward disallowed losses
Robert S. Barnett
Capell Barnett Matalon & Schoenfeld
Mr. Barnett practice encompasses business and tax planning, estate planning and federal and state tax dispute... | Read More
Mr. Barnett practice encompasses business and tax planning, estate planning and federal and state tax dispute resolution, among other engagements. He is a frequent writer on tax topics for professional journals.Close