Foreign Investment in U.S. Real Estate: Impact of Tax Reform
Entity Selection, FIRPTA, Tax Concerns When Acquiring or Disposing of Ownership Interests
An encore presentation featuring live Q&A
A 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will examine tax challenges for foreign investors in U.S. real estate. The panel will discuss the impact of recent tax reform on blocker corporations and other investment vehicles, new IRS reporting obligations, the Base Erosion Anti Abuse Tax (BEAT), and other matters.
- Overview of tax rules that apply to foreign investors in U.S. real estate
- Estate and gift tax
- Investment structure alternatives and their tax consequences
- Individual ownership
- Ownership through U.S. LLC
- Ownership through a foreign corporation
- Ownership through U.S. corporation
- Ownership through trusts
The panel will review these and other crucial issues:
- What are the tax implications of purchasing U.S. real estate individually vs. through an LLC vs. a blocker corporation or a trust?
- What are the tax reporting obligations for non-U.S. owners of U.S. real estate?
- How does FIRPTA compliance vary between different ownership structures?
- How might the new tax law impact approaches to foreign investment in U.S. real estate?
This is an encore presentation with live Q&A.
Edward J. Hannon
Quarles and Brady
Mr. Hannon regularly works with institutional investors, high-net-worth individuals, and real estate companies in... | Read More
Mr. Hannon regularly works with institutional investors, high-net-worth individuals, and real estate companies in developing and implementing tax-oriented structures in real estate transactions. He also provides tax and structural advice in connection with various transactions involving the acquisition and disposition of U.S- based businesses.Close
Cecilia (Ceci) Hassan
Baker & McKenzie
Ms. Hassan is a member of the firm's Tax Practice Group, and Global Wealth Management sub-practice group. Her... | Read More
Ms. Hassan is a member of the firm's Tax Practice Group, and Global Wealth Management sub-practice group. Her practice focuses on international clients, their families, family offices, and their companies with structuring their investments inside and outside of the US, such as international trust planning, structuring U.S. real estate holding structures with compliance with FIRPTA, investments and holdings in US and foreign companies and operating businesses, pre-immigration planning for individuals and families coming to the US, expatriation planning for individuals renouncing their US citizenships or green cards, global exchange of information (FATCA, CRS), and other international tax planning matters. She also handles general tax planning for individuals and companies.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
A savings of $200
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$394 + $9.45 S&H