Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Compliance in Joint Ventures and Consortia: Minimizing FCPA Risk
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide counsel for companies in international joint ventures (JVs) or consortia with guidance on effective compliance programs to minimize Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) risks. The panel will examine the unique FCPA issues, offer best practices to mitigate risks, and review strategies for handling investigations.
- FCPA risks and steps to minimize risk for JVs and consortia
- Unique risks
- Due diligence
- Board/management reviews
- Audits and approvals
- Right to terminate
- JV partners
- What to expect from JV partners
- Handling disputes with JV partners
- Compliance obligations in JV documents
- Best practices
- Investigation of the JV
- Disputes among JV partners
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What FCPA due diligence is appropriate when selecting JV partners?
- What compliance obligations should be included in JV documents to minimize FCPA risk?
- How should companies address risk when holding a minority stake in a venture?
- What risks are posed by local content rules requiring partnerships with local companies?
- What are the key steps companies and counsel should take when a JV is subject to a government investigation?
- What does FCPA guidance issued by the DOJ and SEC reveal about JV risk?
Edward J. Fishman
Hogan Lovells US
Mr. Fishman provides regulatory, compliance, and transactional advice to clients in the life sciences,... | Read More
Mr. Fishman provides regulatory, compliance, and transactional advice to clients in the life sciences, manufacturing, consumer products, and other industries on transportation, logistics, product distribution, and supply chain matters. He regularly provides advice on the legal and regulatory risk matters associated with public infrastructure and government contracting projects that are pursued through outsourcing arrangements, joint ventures, and public-private partnership transactions. He advises multinational clients across a range of industries on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), trade sanctions, the False Claims Act, and other U.S. laws and regulations that apply to business activities within and outside the country.Close
James G. Tillen
Miller & Chevalier
Mr. Tillen is Vice Chair of the firm’s International Department. His practice focuses on matters involving the... | Read More
Mr. Tillen is Vice Chair of the firm’s International Department. His practice focuses on matters involving the FCPA, money laundering, business and human rights, and other areas of international corporate compliance. He has significant experience with every facet of an FCPA enforcement matter, from inception to completion, including developing work plans for internal investigations, conducting internal investigations, developing remediation strategies, and negotiating resolutions. He has also conducted anti-corruption due diligence reviews and compliance audits.Close