Filing and Amending Federal Tax Returns in Light of IRS Recognition of Same-Sex Marriages
Maximize Refunds and Reconciling With State Returns for Income and Estate Tax
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This webinar will instruct practitioners on the opportunities available and key changes for tax reporting for same-sex couples due to IRS Rev. Ruling 2013-17. The panel will discuss the impact of the Supreme Court's DOMA decision and the IRS ruling. The panel will also offer best practices for preparers working with same-sex and unmarried couples in states that do and don't recognize same sex marriages.
IRS Revenue Ruling 2013-17 Overview
- Imapct Personal Income Taxes
- Impact Estates and Trusts
- Impact Employee Benefits
Filing for refunds
- Form 1040X
- Form 843
Filing Out Forms Post IRS Ruling
The panel will review and provide helpful details and examples
- How can preparers assist same-sex married couples in filing for federal income tax and gift tax refunds: Form 1040X and Form 843, lacking current IRS guidance?
- How does the IRS ruling define legal same-sex marriage? Under what circumstances will the benefits in IRS Revenue Ruling 2013-17 extend to domestic partnerships and civil unions?
- What filing status should legally-married same-sex couples use to file their 2013 federal income tax return?
- How can preparers handle tax filings for same-sex married couples in the states that currently do not recognize same-sex marriage but require tax filers to reference federal returns on their state tax forms?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Mr. Wasserstrum possesses over 35 years of experience in public accounting. He specializes in providing consulting,... | Read More
Mr. Wasserstrum possesses over 35 years of experience in public accounting. He specializes in providing consulting, technical and compliance services in the areas of deferred compensation, employee benefits, and executive compensation. His work includes assisting clients with all pension, compensation, and employee benefit issues, such as qualified retirement plan self-audits, nonqualified deferred compensation plan issues, equity based compensation including stock options and restricted stock, separation pay plans, health and welfare plan issues, M&A acquisition due diligence, services for IRS examinations, compliance programs, and DOL compliance programs.Close
Mr. Lev provides tax planning and consulting service to various closely held businesses, pass through entities, and... | Read More
Mr. Lev provides tax planning and consulting service to various closely held businesses, pass through entities, and not-for-profit organizations relating to unrelated business income tax and other tax services. He provides income tax, estate tax, financial planning, and consulting services to high net-worth individuals and their family offices.Close
Mr. Delfiner is experienced in federal and Pennsylvania estate and inheritance tax matters, federal and state... | Read More
Mr. Delfiner is experienced in federal and Pennsylvania estate and inheritance tax matters, federal and state fiduciary income taxes, federal and state business and individual income taxes, and corporate taxes. His industry expertise includes working with real estate entities and wholesale distributors, and he specializes in tax planning and compliance, C corporation taxation, estate and gift taxation, individual taxation, pass-through entity taxation, and trusts.Close