Federal and State New Markets Tax Credits
Mastering the Fundamentals of NMTC Incentives Used in Various Financing Structures
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This teleconference will prepare advisors and tax professionals with the tools to work effectively on business transactions financed in part with federal or state new markets tax credits.
- How the NMTC works
- Goals for and amount of the credit
- Parties involved in an NMTC-backed transaction
- Qualification tests
- State NMTCs available
- Which states have credits in place or have considered creating them
- Examples of some state credits, and their terms
- Benefits and risks with NMTCs
- Raising amount of federal NMTCs available
- Risk of recapture
- Capital gains issues
- Near-term future of NMTC program
- Status of renewal bills in Congress
- How projects in the pipeline are being affected now
The panel will explore these and other fundamental aspects of NMTCs:
- Qualifying community development entities, investors, developers and businesses.
- Special federal tests for income, use of proceeds, use of property and other activities.
- Examples of state NMTCs, and how they track or part from the federal approach.
- How federal credits can potentially be forfeited under certain circumstances.
- How coupling federal NMTCs with state tax credits can maximize the federal incentive.
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Snell & Wilmer
He chairs the firm's Tax Credit Finance Group and co-chairs its Fund Formation and Investment, and Affordable... | Read More
He chairs the firm's Tax Credit Finance Group and co-chairs its Fund Formation and Investment, and Affordable Housing and Community Development Groups. He routinely works with federal new markets and renewable energy tax credits, and project-based financing.Close
He is attached to the firm's Real Estate Services Group and works primarily on tax restructurings and financial... | Read More
He is attached to the firm's Real Estate Services Group and works primarily on tax restructurings and financial projections for real estate developments and investment funds. In that role, he works routinely with new markets tax credits and other federal incentives.Close
Kantor Taylor Nelson Evatt & Decina
The firm specializes in real estate and economic development law, and he works often with structures combining new... | Read More
The firm specializes in real estate and economic development law, and he works often with structures combining new markets and historic rehabilitation tax credits, along with other public and private financing sources.Close
She has more than 20 years of experience with complex business transactions, frequently involving tax incentives... | Read More
She has more than 20 years of experience with complex business transactions, frequently involving tax incentives including new markets tax credits. Before coming to Lane Powell, she was a corporate general counsel.Close