FCPA and UK Bribery Act Risk Assessments
Strategies to Identify and Mitigate Corruption Risk and Ensure Compliance
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to counsel for companies doing business outside the U.S. on planning and executing risk assessments to ensure effective compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the new UK Bribery Act.
- Importance of anti-corruption risk assessments
- FCPA/U.S. Sentencing Guidelines
- UK Bribery Act
- Goals of risk assessment
- Conducting the risk assessment
- Who conducts it?
- How its conducted?
- Establishing the appropriate scope and work plan
- Tailoring the assessment to specific industry sectors and risks
- How to handle the results
- Strategies to overcome challenges and remediate findings
- Common challenges
- Effective methods for overcoming challenges
- Dealing with the results
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What should a risk assessment identify to mitigate risk of corruption?
- What are the essential components of an FCPA or UK Bribery Act risk assessment?
- What steps should a company and counsel take to protect the assessment?
- What steps should be taken to execute a cost efficient assessment?
Edward J. Fishman
Mr. Fishman advises clients with respect to government and internal corporate investigations, corporate transactions,... | Read More
Mr. Fishman advises clients with respect to government and internal corporate investigations, corporate transactions, and related regulatory matters. He focuses on FCPA compliance and auditor independence requirements. Mr. Fishman has extensive experience representing companies in connection with FCPA compliance, due diligence, training and other risk management procedures. He also regularly advises clients on matters before the DOJ and the SEC.Close
John F. Wood
Hughes Hubbard & Reed
Mr. Wood focuses on corporate compliance, internal investigations, advocacy before government agencies, and litigation.... | Read More
Mr. Wood focuses on corporate compliance, internal investigations, advocacy before government agencies, and litigation. He has extensive experience representing clients in matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the False Claims Act (FCA), international trade controls, securities and accounting matters, and government contracts. His practice spans the full spectrum of compliance and dispute resolution, including helping corporations develop effective compliance programs, investigating allegations and evidence of misconduct, advocating before government agencies, litigating in court, and post-resolution compliance monitoring.Close
He is experienced in handling a broad range of large commercial disputes for major corporations and financial... | Read More
He is experienced in handling a broad range of large commercial disputes for major corporations and financial institutions. He heads the firm's business ethics and anti-corruption group. He also advises on anti-corruption issues in connection with companies’ internal compliance policies and procedures, international business transactions and internal corporate investigations.Close