Fair Use and IP Infringement on Instagram, Facebook, and Other Social Media
Policing and Protecting Licenses, Copyright, and Trademark Rights
A live 90-minute premium CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will explain to counsel when sharing content on social media sites is protected by fair use and when it crosses the line into unauthorized infringement. The panel will outline steps for counsel to advise companies on monitoring and protecting against unauthorized use of their brands and social media content.
- IP infringement risks companies face from social media
- When is the use of marks and copyrights online fair use?
- Strategies for protecting marks and copyrights in social media
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are best practices to proactively protect brands from infringement by social media site users without losing the marketing advantages?
- Can IP owners pursue social media users who impermissibly post, pin, or share content for infringement based on other users (individually or en masse) re-posting that item?
- What are the crucial first steps that counsel can advise businesses to take after identifying alleged IP infringement by a social media user?
Ian C. Ballon
Mr. Ballon represents Internet, technology, entertainment companies and social networks in internet-related... | Read More
Mr. Ballon represents Internet, technology, entertainment companies and social networks in internet-related litigation including copyright, trademark, trade secret and rights of publicity litigation and defense of privacy and behavioral advertising class action suits. He authored the five-volume treatise, E-Commerce and Internet Law: Treatise with Forms 2d edition (West 2009) and the earlier first edition.Close
Latham & Watkins
Mr. Wetzel is a first-chair trial lawyer who focuses on cutting-edge copyright and music licensing issues, representing... | Read More
Mr. Wetzel is a first-chair trial lawyer who focuses on cutting-edge copyright and music licensing issues, representing clients from emerging companies to the biggest household names. For over 15 years, he has represented clients at the trial and appellate levels in a variety of complex litigation matters, including IP and media licensing, data privacy, trade secret, and false advertising cases. He has extensive experience with music copyright and class action litigation, and regularly counsels large and small clients on various copyright, trademark, and rate-setting antitrust matters, as well as other intellectual property issues associated with various forms of media.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Early Discount (through 12/18/20)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $300 (through 12/18/20)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$394 + $24.45 S&H